NEW to OpenGD77, but not Ham Radio

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
K4PMD

NEW to OpenGD77, but not Ham Radio

Post by K4PMD » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi All,
Looking to expand my knowledge on DMR and purchased a GD77 and look forward to installing the Open Source firmware. I'll be reading the posts to avoid any stupid mistakes, which I have done just a few times during 60 years as a HAM. First QSO on 6 meter AM when I lived in NYC.

Now in HOA/Community located in Florida, and restricted to inside only antenna, so I'm thankful DMR and HOTSPOTS make my HAM RADIO more enjoyable.

73's
Phil
K4PMD
South Florida

kd2lh

Re: NEW to OpenGD77, but not Ham Radio

Post by kd2lh » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Welcome to the project,Phil.
I think you'll be impressed with OpenGD77, and enjoy DMR.
Look into Brandmeister as your VOIP switch backbone. I think it's the most reliable and mature of what's out there.
With some work, you'll find the "JumboSpot" simplex or duplex hot spots with PiStar and a Raspberry Pi Zero W both economical and reliable. Just look into details of tuning your hotspot to exactly match your radio's frequency (the JumboSpot SDR radio hat doesn't use AFC).

K4PMD

Post by K4PMD » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm

HI, Thanks for the WARM welcome.

So I've come across my first problem....I purchased a NEW GD77 from Radioddity.

I can't get the programming cable to work. Nothing comes up in the COM Device Manager, and NO beeps acknowledging the USB is plugged in. Am I missing a step? This is the OEM cable supplied with the radio.

NOT TO CONFUSE the conversation, but I tried my BTECH 6X2 cable, and was able to program the Radioddity CPS and get the radio working OK. But, the BTECH cable does not get recognized by the OPENGD77 SW and does not show up in the Device Manager when programming with the OEM CPS, although I do get Windows BEEPS when the cable is plugged in.

But, the OPENGD77 software will not let me proceed without finding a COM PORT or install the OPENGD77 Firmware

What am I missing? Where should I POST this to get help?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi,
K4PMD wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm
HI, Thanks for the WARM welcome.

So I've come across my first problem....I purchased a NEW GD77 from Radioddity.

I can't get the programming cable to work. Nothing comes up in the COM Device Manager, and NO beeps acknowledging the USB is plugged in. Am I missing a step? This is the OEM cable supplied with the radio.

NOT TO CONFUSE the conversation, but I tried my BTECH 6X2 cable, and was able to program the Radioddity CPS and get the radio working OK. But, the BTECH cable does not get recognized by the OPENGD77 SW and does not show up in the Device Manager when programming with the OEM CPS, although I do get Windows BEEPS when the cable is plugged in.

But, the OPENGD77 software will not let me proceed without finding a COM PORT or install the OPENGD77 Firmware

What am I missing? Where should I POST this to get help?
After installing the OpenGD77 CPS (and the USB driver), to be able to flash the firmware, you need to power-up your GD with SK1 and SK2 key down (the two small buttons next to the PTT).

The LED will lit, the screen will remain blank.

Now, you can flash the firmware. Once it's done, power-cycle your GD, then you will be able to use the CPS with it (not the official one, as it uses a different way to communicate with the HT).

Bear in mind that the cable is a "dummy shell", there is nothing in it, it's just connectors and wires.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

Zl1XE

Post by Zl1XE » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:37 pm

The help doc in master is still behind the development branch where you will find:

1. A Firmware upgrade.
Get the radio into dfu mode by:
  • * Holding down the two buttons indicated below and turning the radio on.
    * The LCD screen will be blank.
    * Connection will use the HID codes and a driver is not required to be installed.
    * Radioddity GD-77 or 77s or the TYT MD-760 or 730:
    * Hold down the two small Blue and Black buttons under the PTT button.
    * Some variants have no Blue button. It will also be Black.
    * Baofeng DM-1801 or DM-860:
    * Hold down the two small Black buttons under the PTT button.
    * Baofeng RD-5R or RD-5R Tier2:
    * The Orange Call and Black PTT buttons.
2. Updating the codeplug using OpenGD77 CPS.

This mechanism uses serial communication while the radio is normally on with the LCD active.
If you have been updating the firmware then turn the radio off and turn it on normally.
It uses serial ports so the OpenGD77 driver must be installed. This happens as part of the installation of the CPS software.