New user, great job!

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
jrp2

New user, great job!

Post by jrp2 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:54 pm

I am a new-ish DMR user, but long-time tech with 40 years of RF, networking, Linux, telephony, etc. experience. Much of my career has been customer facing in a support role, so I have a great deal of experience with customer issues. I have a Anytone 878 and love it, but wanted to check out opengd77. My startup experience with the 878 was a bit frustrating to say the least.

I have to say, amazing job! I am a geek, and like to dig deep, but I also have a great appreciation for a simple, elegant solution. I love the simplicity, I will likely use this as my in-car solution as it is just so easy to use without looking at the screen.

Here are a few things that really stood out to me:
  • Ability to enter a TG ID with #tg idGreen button. I struggle with this on my Anytone to this day.
  • In promiscuous mode automatically (it would be nice to be able to disable this, but not a biggy). My biggest headache getting started several weeks ago was I heard nothing on my Anytone. Stupid learning curve thing, but once I discovered promiscuous mode (Digital Monitor in Anytone) in my 878, light bulbs lit up.
  • Basic simple keys to do basic things like change power, etc.
  • Separation of TGs from channels (repeaters). I hate creating separate channels for the same TG on different repeaters.
If I were to help someone get started in DMR, I would definitely suggest they start out with a gd77 with opengd77 loaded. I am not giving up my 878, I love the large contact list memory and the screen.

I miss a few things, and it appears you are working on them. Biggest thing is scanning.

I am going to play with the GD-77S soon. Again won't be my main axe, but I am interested in the user design for that with no screen.

Bottom line, kudos for a great job of simplifying the user interface and hacking together a great experience!

Zl1XE

Re: New user, great job!

Post by Zl1XE » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:22 am

Welcome aboard. Nice summary.
I thought scanning was working quite well. Do you mind outlining how you envision improving it ?

jrp2

Post by jrp2 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:50 am

To be honest, I did not think there was scanning at all. I see the doc now, I will play! Sweet!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 am

jrp2 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:50 am
(it would be nice to be able to disable this, but not a biggy)
See the DMR filter settings. TG filters are off by default, but the TS filter is on by default,

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:03 am

jrp2 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:54 pm
I am a new-ish DMR user, but long-time tech with 40 years of RF, networking, Linux, telephony, etc. experience. Much of my career has been customer facing in a support role, so I have a great deal of experience with customer issues. I have a Anytone 878 and love it, but wanted to check out opengd77. My startup experience with the 878 was a bit frustrating to say the least.

I have to say, amazing job! I am a geek, and like to dig deep, but I also have a great appreciation for a simple, elegant solution. I love the simplicity, I will likely use this as my in-car solution as it is just so easy to use without looking at the screen.

Here are a few things that really stood out to me:
  • Ability to enter a TG ID with #tg idGreen button. I struggle with this on my Anytone to this day.
  • In promiscuous mode automatically (it would be nice to be able to disable this, but not a biggy). My biggest headache getting started several weeks ago was I heard nothing on my Anytone. Stupid learning curve thing, but once I discovered promiscuous mode (Digital Monitor in Anytone) in my 878, light bulbs lit up.
  • Basic simple keys to do basic things like change power, etc.
  • Separation of TGs from channels (repeaters). I hate creating separate channels for the same TG on different repeaters.
If I were to help someone get started in DMR, I would definitely suggest they start out with a gd77 with opengd77 loaded. I am not giving up my 878, I love the large contact list memory and the screen.

I miss a few things, and it appears you are working on them. Biggest thing is scanning.

I am going to play with the GD-77S soon. Again won't be my main axe, but I am interested in the user design for that with no screen.

Bottom line, kudos for a great job of simplifying the user interface and hacking together a great experience!

Do you have a callsign. All accounts are now required to be identified by callsign, becuase of a serious problem with bots registering on the site