Hello from new user

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
vk7js

Hello from new user

Post by vk7js » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:20 am

Hi All,

My name is Joseph, vk7js. I am a totally blind software engineer. I have just successfully modified the firmware to make it easier for a blind person to edit the channel name in the channel details screen. I had a bit of an issue with the IDE andthe firmware not building properly due to having the 2.8.2 sdk but once I reinstalled with the 2.7.0 sdk all was well.
I've made the folowing changes (pending Roger's inclusion)
1. When arrowing left and right in the channel name, only speak the char at the cursor rather than just repeating the entire name on each key press.
2. When backspacing a character, read the character being deleted.
3. When entering new text, read the preview character and the character actually entered rather than just rereading the entire name.
This makes it not only possible, but practical for a blind person to edit the channel name.

I will eventually do something similar for the ctcss and dcs fields where the prompt gets repeated each time you change the code which means it is very slow to find the one you are looking for.
It is very empowering to be able to fix your own firmware!
Joe
vk7js

nr0d

Re: Hello from new user

Post by nr0d » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:49 pm

Welcome! Very nice work, and yes, the fact that all of this is open source is a big part of the reason I'm here.

Now I just need to get done migrating servers to AWS so that I can actually have time to play.