Greetings from Boston & BARC

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
gkenley

Greetings from Boston & BARC

Post by gkenley » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:28 pm

Hello. Just bought a new Radioddity GD-77 and became aware of both the stock firmware/software for this DMR radio and Roger's OpenGD77 alternative. Looked at example Codeplugs from both and decided first to build a stock CPS Codeplug. After reading all that was available (very poor) and watching every YouTube on this subject that I could (each had his own view of how to build the GD-77 Codeplug) I purchased a "Bang Head Here" wall covering. A fellow member of Boston's BARC has convinced me to go the OpenGD77 route as he had successfully deployed using the OpenGD software/firmware. Close one door and open another. There is "building the Codeplug" and there is "Operating the HT Radio". Wish there were more of the later as well. If anyone knows of good videos/papers on step by step GD-77 Operations guidance, please shoot me a Reference Link. 73 GK Boston.

VK3KYY

Re: Greetings from Boston & BARC

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:45 pm

Welcome.

With codeplugs there isn't a "best" way to create them, hence you won't find a definitive guide to creating a codeplug.

The codeplug will depend on your individual requirements, e.g. what you listen to or transmit to. And to your own personal preference to the organisation of the codeplug.

The codeplug structure used by the OpenGD77 is 99% the same as for most other digital radios. It uses a enhanced version of the official Radioddity codeplug data format, with the only change being the ability to put 80 channels into a "zone" rather than 16.

Additionally the OpenGD77 has the big advantage that the Rx Group list aka TalkGroup List, can be use for both Rx and Tx, and this means that you don't need to create 1 "channel" per frequency per TalkGroup. You only need to create 1 channel per frequency.

This feature of TalkGroup lists is documented in the User Guide. https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... d#overview

When I first started to use DMR, several years prior to the OpenGD77 firmware being available, I initially used a codeplug from another local Ham.
However, I soon found it didn't suit my personal preferences, I ended up pulling it apart and making a new one, almost from scratch.

I suspect this is the journey that many people go through.

VK3KYY

Re: Greetings from Boston & BARC

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:48 pm

BTW.

What is your callsign