Greetings from Rochester NY

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
KD2VTY

Greetings from Rochester NY

Post by KD2VTY » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:10 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the add. I got my Technician's license about 3 weeks ago, and got a GD-77. After a couple of agonizing weeks, I finally have the programming mostly figured out. I'm still having a few issues connecting/staying connected on DMR, and can't get IRLP to work - I figure that I'm doing something slightly wrong in the software, and am working on resolving these issues.

I understand that the difficulty people have with programming these things stems from the fact that DMR was originally used to keep in touch with various groups within a company, and that ham radio has co-opted the mode for their own uses. I can see how these features would be simple to understand in a factory setting; however, many of them have no place in the amateur radio world. Unfortunately, however, we still have to configure many of these useless-for-ham-radio settings.

Regarding openGD77: I decided to try to understand the DMR system from the ground up before moving up to OpenGD77, which, I believe, separates out the business side of DMR, making it more intuitive for amateur radio. Since I now have a pretty good understanding of ham radio's place in DMR, I'll be taking everyone's advice, and will be trying out OpenGD77, probably within the next couple of weeks.

Bill Kenny
KD2VTY

M0XSI

Re: Greetings from Rochester NY

Post by M0XSI » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:23 pm

Welcome along Bill, you should find OpenGD77 a lot more logical than the stock firmware.