How to search posts

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
n6io

How to search posts

Post by n6io » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:24 pm

I'm not a new member, but not up to speed on this site.

Frequently people are chastised for asking a question someone asked a few years ago. They are told to use search to find previous posts. However in my experience this is not possible .

For example I was trying to find posts about the DR-1801 and A6 chip. However a search on 'dr1801' returned nothing. A search on 'dr-1801 a6' gets converted into a search for 'dr' and '1801' and 'a6' giving an error saying search terms are all too common or too short.

The vast majority of times I try to search they get rejected. I find if I do the search on Google, adding opengd77 I sometimes find stuff but I feel this site's search should work.

I'm pretty familiar with this site now and can usually find what i want after an hour or two of browsing, but think there must be an easier way.

What am I doing wrong?

VK3KYY

Re: How to search posts

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:37 pm

No forum has good search functionality

It used to be possible to use Google to search individual websites and forums, but as you may have noticed, Google no longer works very well

So AFIK there is no automated way to do what you want

n6io

Re: How to search posts

Post by n6io » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:50 pm

I guess the best way to search is to ask the question and hope someone sends a link to the previous thread discussing the same issue.

I assume there's no way to allow a common.word mixed with a less common word, or maybe multiple short acronyms.