Greeting from W6DUX in CA; Q:Voice Alert?

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
W6DUX

Greeting from W6DUX in CA; Q:Voice Alert?

Post by W6DUX » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:41 pm

Good day all,

First let me thank you all for this amazing firmware!

My friend gave me a DM-1701, and I was trying to just listen to the happenings on my local repeater but I wasn't able to figure out all the TalkGroups since it didn't seem to support a promiscuous mode. I just installed OpenGD77 and have been able to hear some chatter in the digital work. Still haven't gotten on the digital airwaves.

I noticed that OpenGD77 support APRS, but my radio doesn't have GPS so it seems like there isn't much I can use the APRS support for at the time being. :?: I was wondering if there would be a way to use Voice Alert. It seems like I could create a zone that has 144.39 with a 100Hz tone and then scan over the zone, but I was hoping to also transmit periodical APRS packets indicating the frequency the radio is set to listen on. :?:

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed (couldn't find it with a few searches) or if it is a dumb question.

Thanks,
W6DUX

VK3KYY

Re: Greeting from W6DUX in CA; Q:Voice Alert?

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:18 am

W6DUX wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:41 pm
Good day all,

My friend gave me a DM-1701, and I was trying to just listen to the happenings on my local repeater but I wasn't able to figure out all the TalkGroups since it didn't seem to support a promiscuous mode. I just installed OpenGD77 and have been able to hear some chatter in the digital work. Still haven't gotten on the digital airwaves.

I noticed that OpenGD77 support APRS, but my radio doesn't have GPS so it seems like there isn't much I can use the APRS support for at the time being. :?: I was wondering if there would be a way to use Voice Alert. It seems like I could create a zone that has 144.39 with a 100Hz tone and then scan over the zone, but I was hoping to also transmit periodical APRS packets indicating the frequency the radio is set to listen on. :?:

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed (couldn't find it with a few searches) or if it is a dumb question.

Thanks,
W6DUX
Voice Alert is not supported.

I think there has already been a discussion about Voice Alert. Try asking Google if it can find that discussion on this forum,

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:40 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:18 am
W6DUX wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:41 pm
Good day all,

Thanks,
W6DUX
Voice Alert is not supported.

I think there has already been a discussion about Voice Alert. Try asking Google if it can find that discussion on this forum,
Is it possible to add CTCSS RX on a APRS defined channel ?
In the long run it's a bit annoying to hear the packet bursts, both ones received and the locally generated.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:59 am

Turn the volume down.