Thank you. Just, thank you. De EA4IAU

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
EA4IAU

Thank you. Just, thank you. De EA4IAU

Post by EA4IAU » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:54 am

Hello OpenGD77 people

I just wanted to thank you for such wonderful piece of firmware.

I got a DM1701 with the intention of using openGD77, but had it with its original firmware for a few days to check it’s working in correct order.
…My experience with the original factory firmware was one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a radio. It didn’t even work right in analog! no real squelch control, you had to create a new channel for every small little detail you changed.

However, then I loaded OpenGD77, which turned an unsufferable radio into a great Ham Radio machine, that allowed me to explore, scan, communicate, and even improved on transmission quality! (reportedly).

I see that because DMR came from a commercial environment, the DMR landscape is flodded with radios with terrible firmware that makes DMR look bad. But if every DMR radio had a firmware like openGD77, it would be as popular as FM. Why not? it’s just modulation.

So thank you. I am so happy with this firmware. And I hope to be able to contribute to it at some point.

EA4IAU

VK3KYY

Re: Thank you. Just, thank you. De EA4IAU

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:30 am

Welcome

Yes. The offiial firmware with these radios is terrible.

This is probably becasue its designed for commercial users, where the operator of the radio is given virtually no control of the radio