Hello from Connecticut!

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
TangoRomeo911

Hello from Connecticut!

Post by TangoRomeo911 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Hey all!

My name is Tom and I am a 911 Public Safety Dispatcher, been doing it for the past 17 years. I am on a public safety regional field communications team and was suppose to go take my COML and COMT this year but with this pandemic they have canceled the classes. I understand how beneficial a good ham operator can be in augmenting public safey so I wanted to get into it and get my license to better understand what ham can and can not do.

I picked up the GD-77 after coming across this forum and with my love of all things tech, I felt this was a good radio to start out with, tinker with and learn how to program some ham features.

Excited to get started and start on my ham tech license, I see they are starting to do the testing online so hopefully with enough study I can get my license that way.

W1AEX

Re: Hello from Connecticut!

Post by W1AEX » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Hello Tom,

Welcome to the forum. You picked a great radio for tinkering and pure enjoyment as the GD-77 gives a lot of bang for your bucks, especially with the OpenGD77 firmware. In addition to being a fine ham radio HT for digital and analog use, the GD-77 also does a fine job as a public service scanner. If you like, I uploaded a copy of my Connecticut codeplug to the forum. The frequencies are primarily for the north-central part of Connecticut but I have included ARES repeaters (DMR) from around the state that might be helpful. There is also a zone for north-central Connecticut area police, fire, and EMS frequencies that are toggled for RX only.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=504&p=4123&hilit=c ... cut#p4123

Good luck with your license studies and I think you will find that your experience as a public service dispatcher will serve you well in preparation for the tech license exam. When you receive your license ask the moderator (Roger) to change your user name to your call sign.

73, Rob W1AEX (also from Connecticut)