Radio locked with the latest firmware

IU4LEG

Radio locked with the latest firmware

Post by IU4LEG » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:11 am

I would like to point out that after installing the latest firmware published on github my gd77 remains locked and no keys work. I also tried the version with language implementation but it also crashes with it.
I downgraded by installing the stable version and everything is back to normal.

73 de IU4LEG

VK3KYY

Re: Radio locked with the latest firmware

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:40 am

I think there is a bug in the key handling.

I noticed when I copied the Channel to the VFO most keys stopped working.

But eventually by pressing red and green etc, I managed to clear the problem.

I don't think its not an overall problem with the "latest" version because loads of people have been using it and not reported the keypad is locked

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 am

I have noticed this problem yesterday, when turning GD77 on, but I haven't had time to flash another FW, or re-flash codeplug.
Also I thought it might be HW problem, so still haven't reported.
Solution I found is to power cycle once, few times, or more then dozen times, but it works eventually.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 am

I think this will move to the top of my todo list.

IU4LEG

Post by IU4LEG » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:54 am

THANK YOU rOGER 73

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Me too I have the problem after the update and I can add that weirdly I can not even get back the factory firmware from Radioddity.
If on my transceiver I load it then the menus have no labels and the descriptions are missing, only symbols and numbers appear, no letters.
The original CPS program from Radioddity does not allow me to read and write the GD-77, a password is requested.
Roger's open CPS also does not communicate with the transmitter, a password is requested.
I have the full backup of the flash done with the Roger's FlashManager but I can not write it on the transceiver because at 12% the device resets and the loading stops.
Could this be related to the passord request?
I do not know.
What I do know is that with Roger's open firmware the transceiver turns on and responds to commands but can not transmit digitally because although the DMR identifier is entered in the CPS it seems to be lost so that it is marked as "0" while transmitting.
It is not even possible to insert it with FUNC + [#] because the menu does not appears anymore and in its place contact management is activated (instead with the last firmware OpenGD77_languages_201911302114.sgl FUNC + # blocks the radio as with Star [*]).
While using the keyboard very often the transceiver stops and must be switched off and on.
It appears that some keys and functions do not match the keyboard anymore.
With the firmware OpenGD77_201911262023.sgl I had no problems, but now also it does not fix the things.
However it is possible that my attempts to restore the transceiver with FlashManager and the open CPS from Roger have made it worse by introducing new defects.
I never tried to go back to the factory firmware from Radioddity and so I can not say if in any case with my device I would have run into problems even with the firmware that did not give me problems.
All this just as a note and information, for knowledge.
I am fully sure that with the backup of the flash that I have by somehow I will be able to restore my GD-77.

73 de Fabio IZ2EIB

DL4LEX

Post by DL4LEX » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:19 pm

I will check, but so far everything works with my GD77.

OZ1MAX

Post by OZ1MAX » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Mine too locks up in latest ver. went back to Stable ver. its ok ..
OZ1MAX Hardy

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:37 pm

FYI.

I have logged 2 issues for this

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... issues/145

and

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... issues/145

I think the new keypad handling to add key repeat and also long press functionality, may be causing this, and we will now have to update all screens to use this new functionality, because trying to mix the old and the new is never a good idea

BTW.

I found that if I press the Red and Green menu keys a few times, often the lock goes away for a while, but it may be quicker to reboot the radio

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 am

I updated the firmware to use Alex's new key handling, and it no longer locks up for me

Try this version I posted to the localisation thread

https://www.opengd77.com/download/file.php?id=80

Can anyone who is still having lockups, please email me their Flash and EEPROM backups