Misinterpretation of overshoots?

DO3BOX

Misinterpretation of overshoots?

Post by DO3BOX » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:53 pm

Hello,

we are operating DMR simplex entries with MD9600 and OpenGD77 on a Raspi using MMDVMHost (respectively DMRHost) at two locations.
A strange phenomenon occurs with light overshoots:
According to the logs, the last previously received station is received again using the last used talkgroup for a very short period of time (on RF).
However, the corresponding stations were not active at these times; it seems to be a kind of misinterpretation of signals that were not received correctly.
Unfortunately, it is apparently not possible to set a squelch threshold in hotspot mode...

73 de DO3BOX

VK3KYY

Re: Misinterpretation of overshoots?

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:24 pm

DO3BOX wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:53 pm
Hello,

we are operating DMR simplex entries with MD9600 and OpenGD77 on a Raspi using MMDVMHost (respectively DMRHost) at two locations.
A strange phenomenon occurs with light overshoots:
According to the logs, the last previously received station is received again using the last used talkgroup for a very short period of time (on RF).
However, the corresponding stations were not active at these times; it seems to be a kind of misinterpretation of signals that were not received correctly.
Unfortunately, it is apparently not possible to set a squelch threshold in hotspot mode...

73 de DO3BOX
So you are reporting problem with PiStar????

DO3BOX

Post by DO3BOX » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:40 pm

No. We don't use pistar.

We reporting that using a md9600 with opengd77 in hotspot mode low signals are misinterpreted instead of ignoring them.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:53 pm

DO3BOX wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:40 pm
No. We don't use pistar.

We reporting that using a md9600 with opengd77 in hotspot mode low signals are misinterpreted instead of ignoring them.
I can't see how this is a bug.

Repeaters also miss interpret very weak signals, and show the wrong TG or user ID

The GD77 hardware will be the same, or worse, as the RF chip in the radio only costs $1

DO3BOX

Post by DO3BOX » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:18 pm

The problem is not only the misinterpretation of the signal, but that apparently in the device a memory is not deleted, but keeps the last contact data. These are then used when a signal cannot be decoded correctly.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:56 am

DO3BOX wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:18 pm
The problem is not only the misinterpretation of the signal, but that apparently in the device a memory is not deleted, but keeps the last contact data. These are then used when a signal cannot be decoded correctly.
The Hotspot does not have a memory of the contact data, its PiStar etc which displays this contact information.

The Hotspot only takes the RF signal and converts it into data for PiStar and vice versa.

DO3BOX

Post by DO3BOX » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:51 am

Thanks for the explanation.
I tried to restart the radio and the dmrhost daemon. Only if I restart the daemon the wrong data was not used but some (random) DMRid instead. So it seems that indeed the last heard DMRid is somewhere "saved" in dmrhost until the restart.
I'll contact the authors of dmrhost...
To avoid the data transfer of garbage to the daemon it nevertheless would be helpful to have some kind of filter like a squelch threshold in hotspot mode...

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:20 pm

DO3BOX wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:51 am
Thanks for the explanation.
I tried to restart the radio and the dmrhost daemon. Only if I restart the daemon the wrong data was not used but some (random) DMRid instead. So it seems that indeed the last heard DMRid is somewhere "saved" in dmrhost until the restart.
I'll contact the authors of dmrhost...
To avoid the data transfer of garbage to the daemon it nevertheless would be helpful to have some kind of filter like a squelch threshold in hotspot mode...

There is no concept of squelch in digital modes.

There is no way to know whether the DMR ID is garbage, all DMR ids apart from 00000000 are valid