DM-1701 Display bezel blocking information

PY2JF

DM-1701 Display bezel blocking information

Post by PY2JF » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:49 pm

I don't know if this has already been discussed here. I did a search but found no references.

The OpenGD77 top bar information on the DM-1701 is covered by the screen frame. The display is larger than the bezel and information such as mode, power and battery are hidden. You need to tilt the radio forward to be able to see under the bezel. If he stays in the normal position, seen from the front, they are completely hidden.

This also happens with the Retevis RT3S but to a lesser extent. Is there a tweak to calibrate the placement of the text on the screen or would this have to be fixed in firmware updates?

Thanks!

73 from JR

VK3KYY

Re: DM-1701 Display bezel blocking information

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:13 pm

This is not a big in the firmware, it's hardware fault of the manufacturing

The solution is to remove the clear plastic in front of the display, remove the black paint and repolish to make it all transparent

PY2JF

Post by PY2JF » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:42 am

Thank you for your reply!

I kept reading the forum and found a citation about this in the tutorial which I was not able to find searching earlier. Well, I will not try this polishing procedure b/c I know I could destroy the plastic with my hand abilities. On the Retevis this hidden pixels are minor. I think the original software of the Baofeng was avoiding the firsts lines of the display since I just notice this after installing OpenGD77. But the rich feature of this firmware surpass any little detail like this.

73 from PY2JF

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:54 am

PY2JF wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:42 am
Thank you for your reply!

I kept reading the forum and found a citation about this in the tutorial which I was not able to find searching earlier. Well, I will not try this polishing procedure b/c I know I could destroy the plastic with my hand abilities. On the Retevis this hidden pixels are minor. I think the original software of the Baofeng was avoiding the firsts lines of the display since I just notice this after installing OpenGD77. But the rich feature of this firmware surpass any little detail like this.

73 from PY2JF
Using toothpaste to polish the area which was orginally painted works OK. But you first need to remove the paint.

Possibly there may be some service online which will laser cut acrylic to the correct size and shape, but I never looked for anything like that.