Latest WIN10 update version 2014

OpenGD77CPS
VK3KYY

Re: Latest WIN10 update version 2014

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:07 am

W8LIO wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:58 am
I tried disabling the windows driver signing feature with no luck as shown here. I am sure there is more to it. I did notice that once the radio showed up as MCU DRIVER DEMO, which was odd.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... ement.html

On my main computer I am running: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

I am currently installing Windows 10 Pro 2004 onto my spare computer as I speak, I will report back and see if the latest OpenGD77CPS (and driver) installs without issue.
The "MCU DRIVER DEMO" name is because the firmware USB is based on the "MCU DRIVER DEMO" from the CPU manufacturer.

I just double checked the firmware binary and it does not contain that text, which would indicate that the Windows 10 driver database has been updated by Microsoft to even include manufacturer demo ID's

You could try right clicking on that device and tell Windows to uninstall the driver its assigned, and then install the OpenGD77 COM driver.
This is actually the same driver, it just names the port so that the CPS can find it.

Getting an official USB ID is a complete nightmare.

Microsoft started making money from hardware companies several years ago by charging thousands of dollars per year to be an approved USB device, and stopped people installing their own drivers.

Then someone figured out a way to install driver my getting the PC to make its own security certificate which is applied to the driver.

But its a game of whack a mole, and MS then change something to prevent people loading their drivers again etc etc etc

W8LIO

Post by W8LIO » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:11 am

Thanks for the input. I am getting closer, but at a slow pace. I first tried to find that device in the device manager, but had no luck. I then installed a free piece of software called USBDeview, which helped me find it's actual driver device name, which is MCU MOUSE DEMO. If I use windows device manager it shows as an HID device, but has no name. In other words, trying to find the actual device is difficult if you don't know what to look for since I have many HID devices.

Anywho, if you use windows device manager and change the view to sort by container, it shows up. I tried uninstalling both drivers associated with the driver (HID-compliant vendor-defined device and USB input device) but haven't any luck so far. (Yes, even after those drivers were uninstalled, I tried to install the one with the CPS first)

My next step is to use an app called Ghostbuster, which basically removes ghosted devices on Windows. I agree with you on the Microsoft driver, that is exactly what the problem is, their generic drivers immediately installed for this device and blocked the drivers I want to use, (which is yours) so it shows up as the proper device. I didn't have any luck using an older version of Windows, even after a clean installation. I am determined to get it to work and will post my result if I succeed.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:29 am

I've put the actual INF files into a zip file on github

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... _files.zip

Download the zip, and look in OpenGD77-serial-driver-files

Folder and there are the INF files etc.

I think it may be possible to install the driver via the INF file, but I know sometimes it won't do this because the drivers aren't signed by Microsoft.

BTW.

I just tried to uninstall the driver from my newest W10 machine, and then turned the radio off and on again, and W10 immediately showed the COM port as being the OpenGD77 device.
So telling it to remove the driver and all files, was ignored by Windows 10

Its really strange you are having all these problems. Most people now use Windows 10 and don't have any problems.

W8LIO

Post by W8LIO » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:36 am

I finally got it working, I had multiples of multiples of old (ghosted) USB devices. I removed them, then came back and removed the (2) MCU MOUSE DEMO device drivers, then I used the last driver you uploaded, installed it and everything was fine after. Well sorta, the radio wants to keep reverting back to the MCU MOUSE DEMO device and still won't let me use the Backup Support functions. Regardless of that, I was able to install the Beta 16th Feb 2021 release. (works great by the way!)

One last thing, I don't know if you can even do it, but it would be nice to see the CPS look for more than just the GD-77 as a COM port device, but possibly have the MCU MOUSE DEMO as another choice in the selection menu.

Thank You for your efforts :)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Good idea about the MCU MOUSE DEMO device name.

I did consider applying for an Open Source USB device ID code, so there would not be this clash

But the criteria to get a code is too strict, the firmware needs to be completely open , with no restrictions, and we fail because the firmware contains the AMBE codec from the commercial official firmware and because overall it has the No Commercial / Amateur Radio / Education usage caveats

4I1ABN

Post by 4I1ABN » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Can someone please share me the link to download the openGD77 CPS? thanks - 4i1ABN (newbie)

F6CYK

Post by F6CYK » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:38 pm

Hello KO4FRZ!

Go here https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/

73 de F6CYK / Tony

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:10 pm

I've just uploaded the com port installer as a separate zip file

https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/CPS/ ... tallation/

People should not normally need this, because the com port installation is built into the CPS installer

But for those who have problems and want the original files, the zip is now available

Note. I don't think it will fix the Windows 11 problem, because this is probably some enhanced security feature in Windows 11, that perhaps can't be overridden

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:56 pm

elite22 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:29 pm
I have the same problem on Windows 10 64bit not recognizing I use the original cable, I installed AIDA64 and got the ID of the drive I installed the drive error disappeared but the COM port does not appear .. the problem is not the cable because I updated Baofeng for it.
Microsoft Windows 11 will nw only load drivers for commercial products.

However my understanding is that the radio is recognised as an generic serial com port.
I do not use Windows 11,and will not be using it, because there is no valid reason to change from Windows 10