RD5R Firmware Questions

OpenGD77CPS
we1h

RD5R Firmware Questions

Post by we1h » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:20 am

Hi All,

I am new to the DMR world and this forum and have a couple of questions about OpenGD77 FW and my BF RD5R. Hopefully the collective wisdom on this site can guide me in the right direction...

1. I downloaded what I believe to be the latest FW version for the RD5R, dated 11 July 2021. Is there a more recent FW? I pulled it from the downlods folder of this site.

2. If (for some reason) I need to undo the OpenGD77 FW update, can I reflash the OEM FW after doing the OpenGD77 FW?

3. I read some detail about not supporing FM radio with the RD5R. I assume that this does not include the analog FM functions of the radio and just the broadcast band FM feature (which I really don't care about personally).

Thanks in advance for any guidance you all have!

- Matt

oh1fss

Re: RD5R Firmware Questions

Post by oh1fss » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:08 am

we1h wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:20 am
1. I downloaded what I believe to be the latest FW version for the RD5R, dated 11 July 2021. Is there a more recent FW? I pulled it from the downlods folder of this site.
There is a newer beta version, please search the forum for details. The beta has a cool satellite mode!
we1h wrote:
2. If (for some reason) I need to undo the OpenGD77 FW update, can I reflash the OEM FW after doing the OpenGD77 FW?
After installing OpenGD77, take the backups (Flash etc). Reverting back should be possible, but I have not tried restoring nor reverting to OEM FW, the OpenGD77 is simply so much better!
we1h wrote:
3. I read some detail about not supporing FM radio with the RD5R. I assume that this does not include the analog FM functions of the radio and just the broadcast band FM feature (which I really don't care about personally).
Ham FM is supported. FM broadcast band is not supported.

73, OH1FSS

we1h

Post by we1h » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:37 pm

Well the good news is that I can restore the OEM FW if needed. The bad news is that I needed to.

The FW update went just fine. However, all of my contacts were removed. So, I used the CSV converter tool to export the 5 CSV's from my Baofeng codeplug, and then imported them to an empty OpenGD77 codeplug .dat file. When I viewed the newly created OpenGD77 codeplug .dat file, all of the contact names were blank again. I tried this several times with no luck. I tried several methods of doing this, all to no effect. So, I reinstalleed the OEM FW and all is good now.

Any wisdom as to what I was doing wrong?

Thank,

- Matt

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:26 am

Hi,
we1h wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:37 pm
Well the good news is that I can restore the OEM FW if needed. The bad news is that I needed to.

The FW update went just fine. However, all of my contacts were removed. So, I used the CSV converter tool to export the 5 CSV's from my Baofeng codeplug, and then imported them to an empty OpenGD77 codeplug .dat file. When I viewed the newly created OpenGD77 codeplug .dat file, all of the contact names were blank again. I tried this several times with no luck. I tried several methods of doing this, all to no effect. So, I reinstalleed the OEM FW and all is good now.

Any wisdom as to what I was doing wrong?

Thank,

- Matt
OpenGD77 codeplug file extension is .g77, not .dat.
About your export in CSV, maybe you can edit it to check if the format is correct (fields and order), here is the header:

Number,Name,Call ID,Type,Ring Style,Call Receive Tone,Repeater Slot override

e.g:

Code: Select all

1,ECHO,9990,Private Call,Off,None,None
2,TG9,9,Group Call,Off,None,None
But, reverting back because you can't enter, by hand, 5 digital contacts is a bit strange, as you just need to specify, at least, a contact Name and a DMR Id for each.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

we1h

Post by we1h » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:05 pm

Hi Daniel,

I actually did everything you suggested. I edited the CSV to allow me to more tailor the entries and remove any charactersn that might cause me trouble (+,-,&, etc). But when the data was imported to my radio, they were blank.

As for the .gd77 versus .dat file, the only codeplug format that I was able to use with the RD5R is a .dat file, and I was able to export the CSV to a .dat file and upload it with the OpenGD77 software. All of my channels were correct, and most of my Zonea, but a few zones were also empty. It is curious that only my contacts were incorrect.

I like the UI of the OpenGD77 FW, but this is preventing me from using it.

Apologies if this is basic stuff... still learning here.

Thanks,

- Matt

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:26 pm

Hi,

Are you using the OpenGD77 CPS ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

we1h

Post by we1h » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:31 pm

I am.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:34 am

Hi,

Hmmm, I'm a bit lost here ;-)
So, you have a CSV file containing your 5 contacts.
Now, you connect your RD5R, which already have a codeplug flashed in, to your computer, using its USB cable.
You read your radio's codeplug using the OpenGD77 CPS.
You go to the "Digital Contacts" list (double clicking on the "kind-of" folder icon), click on "Import" button, then select your CSV.
These 5 contacts are added to the current list.
You check everything is correct, then flash the codeplug back to your RD5R.

Then what's happening ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

OE1MWW

Post by OE1MWW » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:41 am

we1h wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:31 pm
I am.
Use https://www.gb3gf.co.uk/Files/OpenGD77-CSV.zip and export from a .gd77 to several .csv
(each section will be in a different .csv) Edit and expand the .csv and based on the modified .csv
If done, you can create a new codeplug with that tool. Depending on your settings in your PC,
maybe you need to tick the 'Use Comma for Decimals'.

Using an existing .gd77 file the 'OpenGD77-CSV.exe' creates: Channels.csv , Contacts.csv , TG_Lists.csv , Zones.csv
and after you modified them, it will combine the group of files into a new .gd77 codeplug.

To modify the .csv you can use Excel or a CSV Editor.

73's de OE1MWW
Wolfgang

we1h

Post by we1h » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:02 pm

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for your response. It worked! I figured out what I needed to do after fklashing the firmware (the easy part).

1. Extract the codeplug data from my RD5R to CSV files
2. Rename the files as needed for the import process (fron the instruction guide of the Codeplug to CSV software)
3. Edit the files to match the header column names and data requirements... I missed this step in provious attempts (also taken fron the instruction guide of the Codeplug to CSV software)
4. Open a blank .gd77 codeplug in the OpenGD77 CPS software
5. Upload the CSV files I updated
6. Edit the details in the CPS software as needed (i.e. call and Radio ID)
7. Upload the codeplug
8. Test and operate

What a huge difference from the OEM FW! I also uploaded the callsign database so I can see who I am talking to. That is a fantastic feature.

Are there any keystrokes that will enable "expert" mode or allow additonal configuration options in the OpenGD77 CPS software (such as display options, etc)? The OEM SW allowed CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-F5 to open additonal config options.

Thanks to all who replied and helped me! I really appreciate it! See you on the bands (both HF and otherwise).

73, Matt