Can't install the CPS

OpenGD77CPS
ab1eo

Can't install the CPS

Post by ab1eo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:39 pm

Hello, I'm trying to install the CPS according to the instructions listed on this site. After I download OpenGD77CPSInstaller_E2021.09.14.01.exe and try to execute it I get 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have permissions ...". Fails even when I run it as admin.

Anyone else run into this issue?? I did a quick search but didn't find any similar complaints. Does the device (radio) need to be plugged in to install the CPS??? I wouldn't think so.

Operating system is Windows10 with latest updates.

I appreciate any assistance or pointers.

Thanks!

Bob - ab1eo
Last edited by ab1eo on Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ab1eo

Re: Can't install the CPS

Post by ab1eo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:48 pm

Plugging the radio in doesn't alleviate the problems.

Downloaded and installed com driver. Redownloaded the CPs exe file (version shown in my previous mail) and tried to execute it. Still get the same error. The CPS will not start due the "cannot access specified device, path or file" error as described in my original message. Just doesn't work on my system. Which is strange as I have an old version of the CPS (1 year ago) that is loaded and works fine but, as expected, will not install the latest firmware.

Anybody know what device, path or file the CPS is looking for at startup that without access would prevent it from starting up?

Windows version: Windows10 Pro ; 21H1 build 19043.1466 ; feature pack 120.2212.3920.0

Sigh.

Bob - ab1eo

ab1eo

Post by ab1eo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:20 pm

Well, I got by the "Can't install the CPS" problem. Backed up and removed older CPS and com port driver. Started from scratch as if I just bought the radio and am doing this for the first time. The CPS starts and I am able to read the code plug from the radio (DM1801). However, I am not able to update its firmware to the latest OpenGD77 image. When choosing extras->firmware loader and selecting the option for baofeng DM1801 / DM860 followed by choosing 'select a file and update' a window pops up which would typically show me a list of firmware images that I can choose from, however, it is empty. Nothing to choose.

The firmware on my radio is old. It is 20:03:48 Dec 29 2020 [bc40d6d]. Is there not a newer image for the DM1801? This image is before the open source licensing issue.

Any help is much appreciated,

Bob - ab1eo

ab1eo

Post by ab1eo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:18 am

I'm calling off the dogs. I think I've put enough pieces together to call this working. Though, the pop-up window in the CPS for 'select a file & update' is still empty by default I was able to load a fw image from the 'publicbeta' downloads page. Works for me. My radio fw is now reasonable current.

Still, great firmware. Blows the doors off the factory firmware.

Thanks for developing this guys!

Bob - ab1eo