Ability to program in a non-standard CTCSS Tone

OpenGD77CPS
n4tii

Ability to program in a non-standard CTCSS Tone

Post by n4tii » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:01 pm

Interesting "feature" I found recently...

I was in "hurry up" mode, dumping in several new analog repeaters for an upcoming trip. I mistakenly input by hand the wrong CTCSS tone (107.1 vs 107.2, and similar types of typos).

I have both an MD9600 and an MDUV380 using the same code plug.

When writing to the radio, I see the following:

1. The MD-UV380 will "conform" the bad CTCSS entries to the correct one when the codeplug is written to the radio.
2. The MD9600 will take them as-is and program them in as-is. (and of course, the repeater in accessible).

On the the MD9600, once you go to channel details and toggle it back and forth, it drops to the correct tone and you can re-save the entry.

Anyway - thought that behavior was worth reporting in.

G4EML

Re: Ability to program in a non-standard CTCSS Tone

Post by G4EML » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:28 pm

The hardware used to generate the CTCSS tone in the two radios is different so the firmware also differs slightly.

Although it may appear that you can program non standard tones there is no guarantee that they are actually being generated correctly.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:33 pm

We don't validate the codeplug data as it would be impractical to do so as there are thousands of settings / value combinations

Like Colin says, you can put whatever value you want into virtually any of the various settings, but this may or may not work depending on what radio you are using becuase the radio hardware differs as does some of the code. i.e the code is not completely unified across all 8 supported radios

n4tii

Post by n4tii » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:41 am

It's all good, my friends - just throwing out the observation.

Perhaps in the CPS, it could be coded to not allow anything but "official" tones?

In the meantime, users just need to be aware that a "non-standard" tone may be possible - and thus, double check your work before writing to radio.

in any case, I love OpenGD77 - and will never look back. I absolutely love what you guys have done for these radios! Thanks!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:43 am

n4tii wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:41 am
Perhaps in the CPS, it could be coded to not allow anything but "official" tones?
Yes. Technically possible

But AFIK no one has any spare time to work on such low priority functionality