New ongoing "Development" version has been created

W1CY

Re: New ongoing "Development" version has been created

Post by W1CY » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi Roger,

I have been playing with the eco levels on my 2 x GD77 units. Both have a little of trouble on levels 3 and 4. They stop playing sound in the middle of a reception. Yes, the TGs are static.

When I move both to level 2 that seems to be the best settings I can place them and, at the same time, keep the audio alive.

FYI only, no action required. If you are interested on the S/Ns, I can write them down here.

My idea is that if we collect enough data points, we could create recommendations for batches of SNs, for instance, SNs 000001 to XXXYYYY use level 0, and so on.

Thanks for the excellent work.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:46 pm

W1CY wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm
Hi Roger,

I have been playing with the eco levels on my 2 x GD77 units. Both have a little of trouble on levels 3 and 4. They stop playing sound in the middle of a reception. Yes, the TGs are static.

When I move both to level 2 that seems to be the best settings I can place them and, at the same time, keep the audio alive.

FYI only, no action required. If you are interested on the S/Ns, I can write them down here.

My idea is that if we collect enough data points, we could create recommendations for batches of SNs, for instance, SNs 000001 to XXXYYYY use level 0, and so on.

Thanks for the excellent work.
The way the Eco modes work should not impact the audio during Rx at all, because the way the Eco levels work is to turn off the Rx for varying perious of time when the radio is idle.
Once the radio starts to receive a signal, the Rx and DMR chip will be turned on permanently

There is some difference to the shutdown of the C6000 DMR chip, in that on level 0 and level 1, the C6000 is not shut down at all.
Level 2 and above, turn off the C6000 when the Rx is off.
So your problem occuring above level 2 doesnt correlate with the C6000 being turned off, as thats not the level at which its turned off.

My understanding of the problem that EA5SW had with the Eco levels and specifically the C6000, was that when the C6000 is turned off during the sleep phase of the Eco mode, the Rx audio and beeps stopped working completely.

However your problem sounds different to that problem.

ES5SW's problem is definietly a bug in older C6000 chips, and apparently the same bug effected other radios like the TYT MD9600 etc.

The work-around in the official code appears to set the output voltage of the audio DAC to a relatively extreme level, for a few milliseconds, which presumably kicks something in the C6000 into working again.

But even though I not put that work-around in the firmware, it still is not 100% effective to fix the problem on all radios.

Are you sure it doesnt cut out on Eco Level 2?

W1CY

Post by W1CY » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:49 am

Thanks Roger,

I will re-verify the issue. I will leave one GD-77 at eco level = 0 and the other at eco level = 4. I will also get my Anytone 878 (actually the sibling Btech 6X2) and leave all 3 radios in RX mode and observe. If I see a problem with the GD-77 at eco level = 4 misbehaves, I will lower it, one step at a time. I will report my results later. Thanks.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:41 am

W1CY wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:49 am
Thanks Roger,

I will re-verify the issue. I will leave one GD-77 at eco level = 0 and the other at eco level = 4. I will also get my Anytone 878 (actually the sibling Btech 6X2) and leave all 3 radios in RX mode and observe. If I see a problem with the GD-77 at eco level = 4 misbehaves, I will lower it, one step at a time. I will report my results later. Thanks.
OK.

Eco 1 should also be fine if the problem is related to the known bug in the C6000 chip.

The firmware has been downloaded over 1000 times, and no one else has reported this specfic problem.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:46 am

Because of constant complaints, about the badly drafted software license on the project, I am being forced to remove all recent builds of the firmware from being downloaded.

If anyone would like to download the current, or any version of the firmware before the builds are removed, you can do this using the CPS by Shift Clicking on the "Download and Update" button, the select the version etc as usual, and you will be prompted for a location to save the firmware.

The current builds can also be downloaed directly from the GitHub releases page.

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 7/releases

Note. Github does not sort by date, so finding individial releaes is difficult and you are better off using the CPS.

To give people time to download the firmware and back it up for their own private use, I will not remove the files for 48 hours.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
But neither Kai DGKLU who originally started the firmware development or I, are lawers and we made the mistake of using the same software license as MMDVMHost. However we have since learned that the software license on MMDVMHost is invalid.

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:13 am

Hi Roger,

I cannot figure out how to save a downloaded firmware version using the CPS using a screen reader. When I right or left click on the version in the data grid, nothing happens. I do not get an option to save the sgl file. The only thing I can do is download and update if I have the radio connected, hence I cannot back up the sgl file.
Will you be offering new versions in the future under a new license?
Joseph

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 am

vk7js wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:13 am
Hi Roger,

I cannot figure out how to save a downloaded firmware version using the CPS using a screen reader. When I right or left click on the version in the data grid, nothing happens. I do not get an option to save the sgl file. The only thing I can do is download and update if I have the radio connected, hence I cannot back up the sgl file.
Will you be offering new versions in the future under a new license?
Joseph
You should get the option to save the file after you select the version, and then press Select and Continue , (as normal)

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:57 am

I am running OpenGD77 CPS (Version: D2021.01.03.02). After I click on download and update, it simply downloads and updates the radio if it is connected, or does nothing if not connected. I am never offfered the option to save the file. Anyway I think I have the latest sgl.
Thanks for your hard work. I hope this is not the end of the new version.
Joseph

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:05 am

Did you hold down Shift when you click Download and Update ?

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:31 am

Ah, you have to hit shift plus spacebar, not shift+enter. Shift+enter doesn't work.
Thanks
Joe
ps are you considering a different licensing model going forward? Or is that it? I hope you will consider a different license, I for one would be happy to sign a non-disclosure or other agreement to use and or modify the firmware.