CAL DATA ERROR (Dumb Rooky Mistake) - Please Help!

VK4FI

CAL DATA ERROR (Dumb Rooky Mistake) - Please Help!

Post by VK4FI » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:57 pm

G'Day,

I have a issue where I have a CAL DATA ERROR after installing OpenGD77 on a GD77 radio.

I think this was a result of me initially loading the incorrect version of OpenGD77, I load the version for the DM1801.

After I loaded the DM1801 firmware I backed up the the EEPROM, MCU ROM and Flash.

Once I found I loaded the incorrect firmware I then installed the correct firmware for the GD77, and it appeared fine on boot, it showed the OpenGD77 screen, that was as far as I got no testing at all, no code plug installed.

Next (rooky mistake ;) ) thinking I knew what I was doing and thinking I was reverting to the original EEPROM, MCU ROM and Flash. I Restored the EEPROM that I had previously backed up, I also resorted the Flash, and then I got the error CAL DATA ERROR. Not sure if this was after the EEPROM restore or the Flash restore, however, I am now stuck. ( Note to self, Don't do stuff you're not sure of)

I have read elsewhere in the Forum that this may be a result of an damaged CAL header, but I am not sure how to fix it.

I do have another GD77 that is still on the factory firmware.

Can anyone please offer a solution..... I am thinking that I may be able to backup the EEPROM and Flash from the other GD77 with the factory firmware and then load that on the broken GD77 and then flash the factory firmware to the damaged radio..... Will that work ????

BTW feeling like a idiot about now.....

Any help very welcome.

73 Steve - VK4FI

F1RMB

Re: CAL DATA ERROR (Dumb Rooky Mistake) - Please Help!

Post by F1RMB » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 am

Hi,

Are you confirming that you've made a backups after flashing the correct firmware on the first run ?
Email me your FLASH backup (email address available on QRZ.com, but you will have to host the FLASH backup somewhere on internet as the file is too large to be attached in an email).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK4FI

Post by VK4FI » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 am

Hi Daniel,

What I did was installed the OpenGD77 firmware file for the 1801 by mistake, when I loaded that before I did anything else I did the Flash backup and EEPROM backup, the flash is only 1024 Kb, then I realised by mistake and loaded the correct file for the GD77, then stupidly re=covered the EEPROM and the flash on the radio that's when the problem occurred.

So hopefully you can still assist me, as the Flash file is on 1 Mb I will try and email it to you.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 am

VK4FI wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 am
Hi Daniel,

What I did was installed the OpenGD77 firmware file for the 1801 by mistake, when I loaded that before I did anything else I did the Flash backup and EEPROM backup, the flash is only 1024 Kb, then I realised by mistake and loaded the correct file for the GD77, then stupidly re=covered the EEPROM and the flash on the radio that's when the problem occurred.

So hopefully you can still assist me, as the Flash file is on 1 Mb I will try and email it to you.
Okay, try it.

VK4FI

Post by VK4FI » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 am

Thanks Daniel, I just emailed it to you

VK4FI

Post by VK4FI » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 pm

FIXED

Big thankyou for guidance and assistance from Daniel F1RMB, who was able to help me very quickly.

Problem was a corrupt FLASH, which was most likely damaged when I flash the incorrect firmware in to the radio.

Anyway Daniel was able to email me a new FLASH file which I uploaded to the radio and all good after that.

Thanks so much Daniel, I have learnt my lesson and will not be making that mistake again :D

73 Steve - VK4FI