Com Port not available

VK3KYY

Re: Com Port not available

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:22 pm

G1BED wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:13 pm
I've tried downloading and reinstalling the CPS yet it doesn't come up with any com ports to connect to. This has happened on two computers so far and I suspect a driver issue, so how do I come up with a com port? :x
The COM port driver can be downloaded separately

downloads/CPS/Com%20port%20driver%20for ... tallation/

Unzip the file and try running the install_OpenGD77_comm_driver.bat

If that does not work, you could try going into the Windows Device manager, selecting the unnamed USB device and select the OpenGD77-serial-driver-files, however Windows generally does not allow users to manually install drivers this way.

Unfortunately from Windows XP onwards, Microsoft started locking out non-commercial drivers, but some clever people developed a workaround called LibWDI

The drivers used by OpenGD77 are actually the ArduinoSTM32 comm port drivers, renamed to OpenGD77. I'm allowed to do this as I'm also owner of the legacy ArduinoSTM32 project.

G1BED

Post by G1BED » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:51 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:22 pm

If that does not work, you could try going into the Windows Device manager, selecting the unnamed USB device and select the OpenGD77-serial-driver-files, however Windows generally does not allow users to manually install drivers this way.

Unfortunately from Windows XP onwards, Microsoft started locking out non-commercial drivers, but some clever people developed a workaround called LibWDI

The drivers used by OpenGD77 are actually the ArduinoSTM32 comm port drivers, renamed to OpenGD77. I'm allowed to do this as I'm also owner of the legacy ArduinoSTM32 project.
I did try that on one machine without success. Perhaps Windoze was just taking its time recognising the drivers! ;)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:00 pm

G1BED wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:51 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:22 pm

I did try that on one machine without success. Perhaps Windoze was just taking its time recognising the drivers! ;)
Sounds like something in your Windows setup is preventing it loading the driver

Do you even get an unknown device or a generic unnamed COM port?

Have you loaded the firmware onto the radio. Its not a COM port until you do so
Also are you using the correct cable for the radio?

The driver is know to work on Window XP, W7, W10 and W11 and has been successfully installed on thousands of machines, based on the number of downloads of the CPS