DM-1801 "Version" Identification?

G4WKW

DM-1801 "Version" Identification?

Post by G4WKW » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:37 am

I am new to the OpenGD77 forums but tried and failed to find any information to identify if a particular version of Baofeng DM-1801 hardware is the "old" version that is supported by OpenGD77 firmware, or the "new" version that is not.

I am trying to help a friend with one of these radios and I have a snapshot of the identification label that just shows "Model:DM-1801" and "S/N:20DM180111823" inside.

Is there a way to know if it is supported by OpenGD77 firmware from the serial number, or by doing certain operations with the radio turned on, or would he have to try loading the firmware blind (hoping for the best)?

Thanks, Richard.

VK3KYY

Re: DM-1801 "Version" Identification?

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:12 pm

The manufacturers don't publish information about serial numbers allocated to different hardware versions of their radios

Make sure you really do have a DM-1801 and not a DR-1801.

The DM-1801 is no longer manufactured.

Initially Baofeng brought out a replacement for the DM-1801 with different hardware but the same model number. This caused a lot of confusion with buyers, so after a few months Baofeng changed the model number of the new hardware radios to DR-1801

The old DM-1801 USB connection appears as a USB HID device, the new radio uses a cable with a USB to Serial chip in the plug and AFIK the radio appears as a serial com device

Only the old DM-1801 with the straight through USB cable is supported.

If you have a multimeter you can buzz the 2 middle pins of the USB plug through to the jack plugs at the other end of the cable
If there is not a direct connection on those 2 middle pins of the USB then its the new radio which is not supported as its actually a module from a mobile phone inside the radio, not descrete processor and RF chips

G4WKW

Post by G4WKW » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:57 pm

Thank you, Roger. :D

I will contact my friend and provide him with your very useful information so that he can determine which version of the DM-1801 he has; from what you have said, I am more hopeful that he has an original version as you said that Baofeng stopped selling the new version as a DM-1801 "after a few months.." and as I stated, my friend's radio is labeled as a DM-1801, NOT DR-1801.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:40 am

G4WKW wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:57 pm
Thank you, Roger. :D

I will contact my friend and provide him with your very useful information so that he can determine which version of the DM-1801 he has; from what you have said, I am more hopeful that he has an original version as you said that Baofeng stopped selling the new version as a DM-1801 "after a few months.." and as I stated, my friend's radio is labeled as a DM-1801, NOT DR-1801.
unfortunately, just becasue its labelled DM-1801 does not mean its compatible, as it could be an early DR-1801

k7ilo

Post by k7ilo » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:41 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:12 pm
The manufacturers don't publish information about serial numbers allocated to different hardware versions of their radios

Make sure you really do have a DM-1801 and not a DR-1801.

The DM-1801 is no longer manufactured.

Initially Baofeng brought out a replacement for the DM-1801 with different hardware but the same model number. This caused a lot of confusion with buyers, so after a few months Baofeng changed the model number of the new hardware radios to DR-1801

The old DM-1801 USB connection appears as a USB HID device, the new radio uses a cable with a USB to Serial chip in the plug and AFIK the radio appears as a serial com device

Only the old DM-1801 with the straight through USB cable is supported.

If you have a multimeter you can buzz the 2 middle pins of the USB plug through to the jack plugs at the other end of the cable
If there is not a direct connection on those 2 middle pins of the USB then its the new radio which is not supported as its actually a module from a mobile phone inside the radio, not descrete processor and RF chips

This is the most direct piece of information I have been able to find concerning this radio so far on this site. Thanks for answering his question which also answered mine. I will have in hand mine supposedly on Monday, hoping to be a happy camper LOL. :D If not, oh well. Maybe there will be a version that will run on the newer radio or I can find an older one.

Thanks again for this info