RD-5R calibration.

W8KDG

RD-5R calibration.

Post by W8KDG » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:40 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have a backup of their RD-5R calibration that they wouldn't mind sharing? My configuration became corrupted, Or at least tell me your VHF and UHF oscillator reference values for the RD-5R. I'm aware that each RD-5R may be different, but at least it might put it in the general area and I could adjust from there. My MMDVM wasn't receiving at all until I gave the oscillator reference value a setting of -55. I'd like to compare it with a known working RD-5R that has factory set calibration values. I half-splitter until I found -55 seems to ve the optimum value (brought down BER to 0.0%( for UHF oscillator reference, but I'm unsure of all the other values.

Thanks
Last edited by W8KDG on Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

VK3KYY

Re: RD-5R calibration.

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:38 am

W8KDG wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:40 pm
Hello,

Does anyone have a backup of their RD-5R calibration that they wouldn't mind sharing? My configuration became corrupted, Or at least tell me your VHF and UHF oscillator reference values for the RD-5R. I'm aware that each RD-5R may be different, but at least it might put it in the general area and I could adjust from there. My MMDVM wasn't receiving at all until I gave the oscillator reference value a setting of -45. I'd like to compare it with a known working RD-5R that has factory set calibration values.

Thanks
How did your corrupt your calibration values

Why don't you just to a factory reset in the calibration screen.

I checked my RD5R and its ref osc value is -48 for both VHF and UHF. In these radios there is no need for different ref offsets for different bands, the only reason we have different settings is because thats whats in the official calibration table

Using MMDVM as your refernece is totally the wrong way to do it if you are using a MMDVM_HS

The MMDVM_HS hotspots have highly inaccurate frequency control , and the chip used in the MMDVM_HS is not actually designed for streaming digital signals, its a ISM band packet radio transciever chip

W8KDG

Post by W8KDG » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:08 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:38 am
Power loss during flashing.
VK3KYY wrote:
Why don't you just to a factory reset in the calibration screen.
I'm not seeing a factor reset in calibration, only read/write and open/save.
VK3KYY wrote:
I checked my RD5R and its ref osc value is -48 for both VHF and UHF.
Thank you. Thats the main thing I wanted to know.
VK3KYY wrote:
Using MMDVM as your refernece is totally the wrong way to do it
Its crude, but what I had at the moment.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:42 am

W8KDG wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:08 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Power loss during flashing.
Flashing the firmware or writing calibration ??

Calibration data is not part of the firmware its self, its in the Flash memory.

If you took a backup of the flash memory, then restoring this will restore all your orignal calibration

Also, we never overwrite the official calibration data, so unless you trashed the whole of the Flash memory and don't have a backup, then just doing a factory restore in the calibration menu will fix whatever problem you have

W8KDG

Post by W8KDG » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:32 am

Ah ok, the restore factory defaults in the radio (opengd77) menu itself. Found it and did it. Better yet, I got very lucky and discovered that I did make backups of everything when I first got the RD-5R in 2020. Had the calibration, EEPROM, MCU, etc, backups of my RD5R exactly from factory. Restored all of that and for good measure, flashed the OEM Radioddity firmware, checked it out and tested, rock solid, then installed OpenGD77 (OpenRD77) which remained rock solid. Like you said, both VHF and UHF were -48 from factory. I now have all the others values for everything else as per factory. I'm better than good now and about to start writing an intensive codeplug covering everything I plan on using this RD5R with. Thanks and have a great weekend.

W8KDG

Post by W8KDG » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:47 pm

Spoke too soon. Now I get a corrupted screen after loading the OEM firmware. I know i ran into this before, but I can't remember what I did to fix it. Hoping someone here can jog my memory. Thanks

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:49 am

The official firmware uses the Flash for different things to the OpenGD77

If you backed up the Flash in your radio , before you loaded a codeplug or keps or DMR ID, then you should be able to install opengd77, restore the flash then reload the official firmware, then reload the official codeplug using the official CPS.

However we do not support going back to the official firmware after they have installed the opengd77 firmware

W8KDG

Post by W8KDG » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:26 pm

I did back up the flash. Restore it as flash or lower 64 flash and then just refladh the OEM firmware?

EDIT: That didn't work. Still corrupted fonts. Is it possible to just HxD the fonts I want back int the OEM firmware? I have the fonts, but don't know what memory locations to change in the OEM firmware.

EDIT: Just going to keep it running OpenRD5R. I have it fully configured and really like it anyway. I just wanted to see if there was a way to go back to completly original factory condition, but I guess it doesn’t really matter anyway as as it was just a cheap $50 HT so who cares. Now, debating about if should update my GD77 to the latest OpenGD77 or not. It’s been running 24/7/365, using a battery eliminator, as my main DMR mmdvm/hotspot for years now. Currently using an 8GB RPi4 running mmdvmhost for it and also as a desktop for a bunch of amateur radio applications (Xastir, FLDigi, Hamclock, etc) that are also always running on it for two monitors. .

W8KDG

Post by W8KDG » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:09 pm

After using OpenRD5R more extensively, I’m simply blown away by how good it has become and evolved. I simply just ran OpenGD77 on a GD77 for a few years to have it run as a mmdvm. It’s done this well, powered off a battery eliminator, 24/7/365, but I never actually used it as a working HT. It just sat quietly, out of sight, out of mind, serving my XPR and Anytones. Also had the RD-5R, but never really used it. It just sat stored away collecting dust. Pulled it out to play with it and figured would check out OpenGD77/OpenRD5R. What was u thinking? Why would I want to need to go back to the OEM firmware anyway. OpenRD5R is absolutely incredible. I’ve been reading the guide as I check it all out. APRS (working great)! Satellite data! You have to be kidding me that all these cool features were squeezed in! Definitely going to update my GD77 to the latest version and fully check everything out of it as well. Absolutely amazing and incredible! Kudos to all the development hackers that made this happen. Does this project accept donations?

Thanks everyone!

YO3VTH

Post by YO3VTH » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:40 pm

Greetings!

Can i ask for an original RD-5R flash backup (my radio is from radioddity, i'm the first user) please?
Now i have upgraded to 2023.12.12 - all fine in Brandmeister (RX/TX) but - i have RX in ipsc2 and no TX there, only a "click-sound".

And how to calibrate the RD-5R? I see the screen 1/4 - how can i move forward to 2/4 3/4 and 4/4?
I would like to calibrate in 145 and not in 135mhz.

I think i messed up somehow the original values and i have no backups made :D

Thanks!

That's my actual values:
uhf1.png
uhf1.png (30.05 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
vhf1.png
vhf1.png (28.72 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Maibe should reverse here something?:
band.png
band.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 2082 times