2023 Stable release version including source code

UB1APZ

Re: 2023 Stable release version including source code

Post by UB1APZ » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:27 pm

Hello! Sorry for possibly wrong topic.
But I have searched the forum and didn't find any information.
Can we now create our own voice prompts with custom voices?
If yes then how and where I can find necessary tools?

And also I can help in translating the firmware and tools to other languages, especially russian and possibly hungarian.
Can we translate and if yes then how?

Thanks in advance!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:34 pm

I just rewrote the instructions

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3726

Russian may be OK to create, but the problem with creating Hungarian, is that the free Text to MP3 service / website we use does not have a Hungarian voice

https://ttsmp3.com/

Its possible that one of the other "voices" can pronouce Hungarian works reasonably well, especially if you use phonetic symbols

For example if you look at the French wordlist file, you'll see many uses of this e.g.

Code: Select all

PROMPT_MEGAHERTZ,<phoneme alphabet="ipa" ph=" meg a ɛrts">,</phoneme>,

TTSMP3 uses Amazon Polly as its conversion engine, and there are a lot of documentation of the features in Amazon Polly
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/polly/lates ... dtags.html here

I'm not sure if TTSMP3 supports all of the Amazon Polly extended features, as I think it may remove some of them from the text before sending to Amazon for processing, but AFIK phonemic is supported

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/polly/lates ... honeme-tag

I had a quick look to see if there were any other online text to speach that supported Hungarian, but the site I found and tried didn't seem to work

If you find a site that can do Hungarian text to speech, and wanted to use that site, you would need to reverse engineer the protocol used by that site, which is what I had to do for TTSMP3 but this is not an easy process.

You would then need to change the Python scripts to use your own new code to access the site

Alternative you could record your own mp3's and put them in the folder and then the will be compressed to AMBE like the other languages.

To make a new language your best option is to copy an existing language folder e.g. perhaps czech and modify it
Then update the wordlist and config files and also change build_all.bat to include your new language

BTW.
We already have a hungarian text version for the radio's on screen texts, but I presume the problem with the voice prompts was the lack of an online Text to speech service for Hungarian

With Russian text, from what I can remember the problem is the font can't display Russian characters

We use a custom 8 bit font, (255 characters), and there is no room for the additional Russian characters which would be needed

For Russian a completly separate build, like for Japanese, would be require, as well as font creation.

But none of the development team have time to do this

If you want to do this however, you can download the source code and change it to add a Russian build with a different font.

We do not provide support for customisation of the firmware source code or font etc, becuase it is far too much work for us, as we struggle just to find time to answer general support questions and bug fix the firmware etc

ko4bkw

Post by ko4bkw » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:38 am

Recently, I had the same issue with the latest "stable" update it rendered my radio dead, restored, downloaded a new copy, same results. Went back to built: 20:40.14 Feb 28 2022. Now, I noticed that the battery drains quicker, battery charges up to 83% only; and in receiving mode after 4 hours the battery level as indicated by the radio menu is now at 38%.

I read some reports of similar situation but different circumstances but no actual identification of the problem.
Has there been changes while attempting to flash the firmware that remain static?

Thanks.
Mo.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:07 am

ko4bkw wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:38 am
Recently, I had the same issue with the latest "stable" update it rendered my radio dead, restored, downloaded a new copy, same results. Went back to built: 20:40.14 Feb 28 2022. Now, I noticed that the battery drains quicker, battery charges up to 83% only; and in receiving mode after 4 hours the battery level as indicated by the radio menu is now at 38%.

I read some reports of similar situation but different circumstances but no actual identification of the problem.
Has there been changes while attempting to flash the firmware that remain static?

Thanks.
Mo.
Are you sure you don't have a fault in your charger or the battery hasn't got a fault.

Check the battery voltage when the radio has been on charge for a few hours and if its not around 8.4V then you have a problem with the charger or the battery

You can detach the battery from the radio, and just put the battery in the charger, if you want to isolate the battery and charger from any thing e.g hardware fault in the radio

There have been around 1000 downloads of the stable GD-77 firmware, so I think if there was a problem with the firmware causing exessive battery drain then hundreds of people would have posted about it here.

HG7WBR

Post by HG7WBR » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:46 am

ko4bkw wrote:

Thanks.
Mo.
I have the same phenomenon...
It only works fine with version 20220228. (?)
Thanks.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:52 am

Battery changing is not handled by the firmware.
Are you sure you're using the same exact settings (backlight percentage, dimmed backlight percentage, backlight timeout, ECO mode, APRS, etc).
Also, frequency activity (Squelch/QRM in FM), scanning, GPS, etc, could have impact.

HG7WBR

Post by HG7WBR » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:02 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:07 am
ko4bkw wrote:

Thanks.
Mo.
Are you sure you don't have a fault in your charger or the battery hasn't got a fault.

Check the battery voltage when the radio has been on charge for a few hours and if its not around 8.4V then you have a problem with the charger or the battery

You can detach the battery from the radio, and just put the battery in the charger, if you want to isolate the battery and charger from any thing e.g hardware fault in the radio

There have been around 1000 downloads of the stable GD-77 firmware, so I think if there was a problem with the firmware causing exessive battery drain then hundreds of people would have posted about it here.
With the mentioned version (02220228) there is no problem with the battery display and status...(?)
Thanks

HG7WBR

Post by HG7WBR » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:08 am

I have had this phenomenon since August 2022. (battery pronunciation error)
Thenks

iw2fiv

Post by iw2fiv » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:32 pm

Recently I have update the radio to 20231231193513 fw.

Now if I set in codeplug tone ctcss both on tx and or rx analog I don't have it.
The codeplug shows that the channel have a CTCSS set on a tone frequecy but when I press the black button on the radio the display shows:

Rx: none Tx: none
SQL: 45%

I can't be received from a rpt or a radio who required a TSQL.

Anyone can help me?

UPDATE: I have reinstalled previous version and CTCSS/TSQL is back operative

Thanks
Carlo IW2FIV

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:05 pm

Hi,

Could you post your codeplug, identifying a problematic channel, tell us the radio model and the CPS version ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel