Voice prompts

Post Reply
VK3KYY
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Voice prompts

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:39 am

I have been working on adding Voice prompts to the firmware for several weeks.

The Development release now supports voice prompts on most screens.

To use the Voice prompts you have to download a prompt file for your language

https://github.com/LibreDMR/voice-promp ... /R20200606

You also need the latest CPS version, which has the option to upload the voice prompt file

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... ses/latest

And of course, you need the Development / Unstable version of the firmware on your radio


Details of how to create your own voice prompts are here https://github.com/LibreDMR/voice-prompts


Notes

(1) This is a work in progress, and I can only verify if the English language version sounds OK.
(2) Its very time consuming to download and compress the synthesised speech. Around 20 minutes per language / voice. Also the source of the synthesis has daily limits based on the user's IP address, so its not practical for me to update more than one or 2 languages per day.

I was hoping that languages other than english could be generated by native speakers of those languages, but I think I will need to do a video to explain what is required in order for people to produce their own voice prompt packs

User avatar
m1dyp
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 am
Location: Hertfordshire, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Voice prompts

Post by m1dyp » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 am

thank you
73 de Ken :D

VK3KYY
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Voice prompts

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 am

m1dyp wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 am
thank you
Are they OK now ??

User avatar
m1dyp
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 am
Location: Hertfordshire, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Voice prompts

Post by m1dyp » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:17 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 am
m1dyp wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 am
thank you
Are they OK now ??
sounds great but, to me uk english, the T sound is still a bit iffy to me, but its still great. thank you so much
73 de Ken :D

VK3KYY
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Voice prompts

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:47 am

m1dyp wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:17 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 am
m1dyp wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 am
thank you
Are they OK now ??
sounds great but, to me uk english, the T sound is still a bit iffy to me, but its still great. thank you so much
I agree the T sounds like a D

I'll see if I can adjust the speech synth settings for that letter

VK3KYY
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Voice prompts

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:23 am

I've tried to manually edit the MP3 file to boost the amplitude of the beginning of the audio, of the "T" or "Teee"

I think its a little better now.

I forgot I originally did this in one of the earlier versions, but I seem to have over overwritten the old copy of T.MP3 which I modified

I'll try creating voice packs for some other English "Voices" and see if they are more intelligible

User avatar
m1dyp
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 am
Location: Hertfordshire, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Voice prompts

Post by m1dyp » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:01 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:23 am
I've tried to manually edit the MP3 file to boost the amplitude of the beginning of the audio, of the "T" or "Teee"

I think its a little better now.

I forgot I originally did this in one of the earlier versions, but I seem to have over overwritten the old copy of T.MP3 which I modified

I'll try creating voice packs for some other English "Voices" and see if they are more intelligible
thank you
73 de Ken :D

G0NHF
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:28 am

Re: Voice prompts

Post by G0NHF » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:28 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:39 am
I have been working on adding Voice prompts to the firmware for several weeks.

The Development release now supports voice prompts on most screens.

To use the Voice prompts you have to download a prompt file for your language

https://github.com/LibreDMR/voice-promp ... /R20200606

You also need the latest CPS version, which has the option to upload the voice prompt file

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... ses/latest

And of course, you need the Development / Unstable version of the firmware on your radio


Details of how to create your own voice prompts are here https://github.com/LibreDMR/voice-prompts


Notes

(1) This is a work in progress, and I can only verify if the English language version sounds OK.
(2) Its very time consuming to download and compress the synthesised speech. Around 20 minutes per language / voice. Also the source of the synthesis has daily limits based on the user's IP address, so its not practical for me to update more than one or 2 languages per day.

I was hoping that languages other than english could be generated by native speakers of those languages, but I think I will need to do a video to explain what is required in order for people to produce their own voice prompt packs
Just updated everything and it’s all sounding much much better Roger. The quality of the prompts sound clearer to me. And the eight is great mate!

Is it just me, but I can’t detect any difference in the USA and UK variants? Anyway they sound very similar to me. It might just be me though just not hearing the accent change.

The only improvements I could suggest is 1 second wait before the voice prompts time out when selecting channels or groups and a welcome message when switching on.

Thanks
Tony

VK3KYY
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Voice prompts

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:09 am

Hi Tony

One simple way to add the feature you want, is to put some spaces at the end of your channel names

VK3KYY
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Voice prompts

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:11 am

Guys'

I've generated a few more English versions

Amy sounds OK, except the letters R and E. I manually modified the "R" and its a bit better, but I've not had chance to fix the E

Emma seems generally OK, but I have not tested all the Alphabet

Nicole is an AU female voice and doesnt sound too bad

Brian is a British male voice and is also quite clear

I'll do some more tomorrow.

Post Reply