Build assistance

Discussions related to the firmware code development
VK3KYY

Re: Build assistance

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:04 am

Possibly firmware.bin is the same as OpenGD77.bin under some conditions, but not for everyone depending on the developers own configuration of the codec files.

You should copy the build tools into firmware/tools folder

We will make some build installation instructions

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:11 am

Hi,
VE3XEJ wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:53 am
Thank you -- I'm fine with creating the files.

I also had to drop the "tools" directory from OpenGD77_buildtools into /firmware so that the post-build step would complete and create OpenGD77.bin

Is that last step required now, or should I just be using firmware.bin?
In fact, you just need to unzip both source and buildtools zip files in the same directory, and the OpenGD77 source subtree is ready (except the two blobs).

As Roger said, better off using the Open<PLATFORM>.bin (it might be identical to firmware.bin, but not in every cases).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

W1CY

Post by W1CY » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:45 am

Hi All,

I have some experience with coding dated 30 yrs ago (FORTRAN, BASIC, C, C++). I would like to try to compile my own version, just for the sake of learning how to do it. I am assuming the environment needs to be Linux. Is the compiler part of the distro or there is a need to get some extra tools? Is that written in Phyton?
Also, is there anywhere a guide on the environment structure to enable the MAKE process to be successful ? Thanks

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:01 am

W1CY wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:45 am
Hi All,

I have some experience with coding dated 30 yrs ago (FORTRAN, BASIC, C, C++). I would like to try to compile my own version, just for the sake of learning how to do it. I am assuming the environment needs to be Linux. Is the compiler part of the distro or there is a need to get some extra tools? Is that written in Phyton?
Also, is there anywhere a guide on the environment structure to enable the MAKE process to be successful ? Thanks
I'll need to republish the old developer instructions from the Wiki when I can find them.

The dev env is the offical IDE from NXP Freescale called MCU Expresso. There are versions for Windows and Linux and I think Mac

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/dev ... presso-IDE

You also need the SDK API from NXP

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

You need the version for the MK22 processor

Then you need to import the unziped files as a new project

And you'll need to unzip the build tools folder into the project folder

etc

There are probably various tutorials on YouTube etc about how to use MCUExpresso etc

W1CY

Post by W1CY » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:08 am

Many thanks. I will star playing with that. Cheers.

VE3XEJ

Post by VE3XEJ » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:50 am

F1RMB wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:11 am

In fact, you just need to unzip both source and buildtools zip files in the same directory, and the OpenGD77 source subtree is ready (except the two blobs).

As Roger said, better off using the Open<PLATFORM>.bin (it might be identical to firmware.bin, but not in every cases).
Thank you very much!