Frequency offset direction feature?

Discussions related to the firmware code development
WA3FME

Frequency offset direction feature?

Post by WA3FME » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:56 pm

Out of curiosity would it be possible to add a option to set a frequency offset and it's direction in one of the menus to facilitate programing from the radio quicker?

VK3KYY

Re: Frequency offset direction feature?

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:03 am

WA3FME wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:56 pm
Out of curiosity would it be possible to add a option to set a frequency offset and it's direction in one of the menus to facilitate programing from the radio quicker?
You can download the source code for the GD77 or UV380 from the links on this forum and add whatever functionality you like to your radio.

VE4HTO

Post by VE4HTO » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:19 pm

WA3FME wrote:
I don't really understand, what you mean with this, offset a frequency from what? Maybe from a memory channel? That would be the VFO mode. Please reference to the "Quick Menu" for various functions with the VFO. More Info will be found in the manual...

73 de VE4HTO Norbert

OE1MWW

Post by OE1MWW » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:15 pm

VE4HTO wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:19 pm
WA3FME wrote:
I don't really understand, what you mean with this, offset a frequency from what? Maybe from a memory channel? That would be the VFO mode. Please reference to the "Quick Menu" for various functions with the VFO. More Info will be found in the manual...

73 de VE4HTO Norbert
ON some HT, the 'frequency offset', in fact, the 'Repeater Offset' (-600 kHz, -7,6 Mhz or -2 Mhz) can be set in a configuration menu.
This can be even set different for VHF and UHF. Manual RX Repeater frequency entry therefore follows those 'offset' for TX.

Example: on my tour through the Baltic Sea States, I used the 'Repeater Book' on my Android to find the next and nearest Repeater.
Quick menu SK2+green (on the RT3S) required two entries, one for RX and one for TX and several cursor down plus CTCSS.
Having that 'offset' feature would make it a tick faster and more easy. But wasn't a big deal to enter manually RX & TX plus CTCSS,
because the Repeater Book shows that data convinient on an one page entry.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:09 pm

OE1MWW wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:15 pm
VE4HTO wrote:
WA3FME wrote:

73 de VE4HTO Norbert
ON some HT, the 'frequency offset', in fact, the 'Repeater Offset' (-600 kHz, -7,6 Mhz or -2 Mhz) can be set in a configuration menu.
This can be even set different for VHF and UHF. Manual RX Repeater frequency entry therefore follows those 'offset' for TX.

Example: on my tour through the Baltic Sea States, I used the 'Repeater Book' on my Android to find the next and nearest Repeater.
Quick menu SK2+green (on the RT3S) required two entries, one for RX and one for TX and several cursor down plus CTCSS.
Having that 'offset' feature would make it a tick faster and more easy. But wasn't a big deal to enter manually RX & TX plus CTCSS,
because the Repeater Book shows that data convinient on an one page entry.

There are soooo many different offsets used throughout the world, that the list would be very long and probably it would take even longer to cycle through the list, than to enter the digits of the frequency

VE4HTO

Post by VE4HTO » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:49 pm

OE1MWW wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:15 pm
VE4HTO wrote:

73 de VE4HTO Norbert
Thanks for the help, i missed the repeater context here.

WA3FME

Post by WA3FME » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:13 am

Instead of having a list of one's from across the world my thought would be just to enter the offset manually

OE1MWW

Post by OE1MWW » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:13 am

AFIK, offset is only -600 kHz for VHF and -7,6 or -2 MHz on UHF
None of the HT I have seen having a scrollable list. All of them
have one entry for VHF and one for UHF, and they recognize by
entry of frequency if it is VHF or UHF.

Amazing discussion, Kenwood and Yaesu have such entries since ever.

In OpenGD77, thanks to the developers, emphasis is on other function,
the commercials not dream of.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:37 am

A nice feature is that VFO mode remembers the TX-RX offset, I use VFO mode a a lot when I'm trying out repeaters, if I find ones that are
accessible I can add them to channels very easy without using CPS.

I think that one of the few things you can't do on the radio is to create a new zone.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:16 am

OE1MWW wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:13 am
AFIK, offset is only -600 kHz for VHF and -7,6 or -2 MHz on UHF
None of the HT I have seen having a scrollable list. All of them
have one entry for VHF and one for UHF, and they recognize by
entry of frequency if it is VHF or UHF.

Amazing discussion, Kenwood and Yaesu have such entries since ever.

In OpenGD77, thanks to the developers, emphasis is on other function,
the commercials not dream of.

You missed some values, like 9.4 MHz.

Cheers.
---
Daniel