UTC TIME Details

Discussions related to the firmware code development
PU2WKB

UTC TIME Details

Post by PU2WKB » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:27 pm

Hello! I would like to make a suggestion. In the latest firmware version, 08/04/2023 there is the possibility of knowing the distance in KM on the channel screen when the location is configured. Very good!
It would also be interesting to be able to use the UTC time of each of these stations. When we look for a contact who is in another country with a different time zone, we can also have a reference to the movement of people talking. During the night it is less busy and during the afternoon more crowded.
What do you think? A big hug to everyone. 73

VK3KYY

Re: UTC TIME Details

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:29 pm

PU2WKB wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:27 pm
Hello! I would like to make a suggestion. In the latest firmware version, 08/04/2023 there is the possibility of knowing the distance in KM on the channel screen when the location is configured. Very good!
It would also be interesting to be able to use the UTC time of each of these stations. When we look for a contact who is in another country with a different time zone, we can also have a reference to the movement of people talking. During the night it is less busy and during the afternoon more crowded.
What do you think? A big hug to everyone. 73
These radios are only short range. I don't see how the channel can be in a timezone much different from your timezone

PU2WKB

Post by PU2WKB » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:00 am

I think I wasn't very clear on the issue. Let's go:

I live in Brazil. If I call someone, via DRM, Brandmeister, in China the time is very different. If in my country it's 12:00 and I call in Japan, for example, there will be few people to hear my call. Was it clearer?

I would like to know if it is possible to determine the location of the TG by CPS and the local time or UTC of that particular TG will appear on the radio screen. Channel by channel. did it become clearer?
Thanks for the answer! 73

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:29 am

PU2WKB wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:00 am
I think I wasn't very clear on the issue. Let's go:

I live in Brazil. If I call someone, via DRM, Brandmeister, in China the time is very different. If in my country it's 12:00 and I call in Japan, for example, there will be few people to hear my call. Was it clearer?

I would like to know if it is possible to determine the location of the TG by CPS and the local time or UTC of that particular TG will appear on the radio screen. Channel by channel. did it become clearer?
Thanks for the answer! 73
This feature is only for the distance of Channels to the location of the radio

The functionality you are suggesting would require the radio to be loaded with the TimeZone of every registered DMR station.
The data for this is not available.
You would need to process the raw data from RadioID.net and use geo-lookup on every location (which will not always work and would require payment to google to use their geo location tools)

Also, these radios have very limited memory and addding a timezone information to the data structure would reduce the maximum number of ID's which the radio can store.

So basically. No this is not practical

PU2WKB

Post by PU2WKB » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:08 pm

I understand perfectly. Many thanks for the clarifications. This work you guys do is really good and we are very happy with the new features and ideas in the latest firmwares. Congratulations on the job!