APRS beacon testers needed

Discussions related to the firmware code development
SA0BUX

Re: APRS beacon testers needed

Post by SA0BUX » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:54 am

.24xtracted the file for 091023, got around 2 Mbyte with hex EFBFBD sequence in the end, total length 3,24 Mbyte.
This is the TYT CPU radio,I will take both the TYT and STM RT3S radios with me today to test.

I could load the file this time even with the bad data at end.

Noticed that we have GPS coverage in some parts of the subway line I travelled, I've seen that before on some stations on another line here.
Don't know if it's some leakage or by design , some of the stations are up to 30 meter below surface.
Last edited by SA0BUX on Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:58 am

SA0BUX wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:54 am
Extracted the file for 091023, got around 2 Mbyte with hex EFBFBD sequence.
This is the TYT CPU radio,I will take both the TYT and STM RT3S radios with me today to test.

I could load the file this time even with the bad data at end.

Noticed that we have GPS coverage in some parts of the subway line I travelled, I've seen that before on some stations on another line here.
Don't know if it's some leakage or by design , some of the stations are up to 30 meter below surface.
I guessed that somehow the GPS signals were getting underground.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:39 am

Updated CPS to fix the Save NMEA function not handling when the buffer wraps around

downloads/PC_CPS_20230910/Experimental/ ... .11.01.exe

This version also saves the raw data from the radio, so that if there are problems with the code in the CPS which splits this into the sepate logs, the problem can be analysed

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:07 pm

Please note.

At the moment the GPS log is not being closed correctly by the CPS.

So please end logging before you download from the CPS

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:50 pm

Hello, I will report more later but right now I have discovered a bug in the APRS reporting firmware (by mistake) on RT3s with old (Jumpstar) GPS.

I did factory reset of the radio settings unintentionally by pushing on SK2 when turning it on (there is no confirmation). I have fixed all settings from memory and turned the radio off.

When I turned the radio on and switched to APRS channel with unset coordinates, following happened:
  • APRS message has been sent with 0,0 coordinates immediately (this furthers the issue when it is sent with last set coordinates after turning on/switching to APRS)
  • The sending seemed to be stuck in a TX loop sending something (probably the message) every second or two.

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:26 pm

I have tried to use the "Smart" mode setting car and e-bike profiles on RT3s with old GPS module, but the positions were transmitted only with very sharp turns. Road curves with big diameter did not cause any transmission, so I actually only got the transmission when waiting on traffic lights (twice), when the course disappeared (became invalid) and appeared again (once the movement started). The walking profile seemed to work correctly.
  • Is the TX when course is lost intended behaviour?
  • If the pre-defined profiles survive to the official beta version, maybe the turn parameter values for these profiles should be reduced.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:06 pm

Hi,

Smart Beaconing's turn angle is not the only parameter, turn time is also taken in account.

Settings, like others, are cleared when the settings storage get changed.

Also, the "presets" (car, bike, etc), aren't read only, you could still tweak the values.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:38 pm

I've only had my RT-3S/GPS since Monday but did buy it partially because I want to muck about with APRS. It does have the newer TYT CPU and as it was able to get a fix indoors I assume the newest/better GPS module? Is there a way to see what GPS module it has without disassembly?

PU2URT

Post by PU2URT » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:22 pm

Just got my first APRS packet online. I transmitted it in manual mode with a log periodic antenna with my RT3S. Reached a digipeater about 100 km away.

Quick question: is editing the APRS packet fields in the radio interface on the development roadmap? I'd be nice to change icon and message on the fly.

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:31 am

I also just got my first APRS packet to be "heard" in manual mode - by a station 15.7 miles away. This indoors with just the stock antenna. I did turn the power up to +W- .
I'm down to 66% battery after 4 hours with the GPS enabled - Does the APRS Beacon firmware drain the battery just as fast or does it power the GPS up only when it "needs" to beacon?