APRS beacon testers needed

Discussions related to the firmware code development
SA0BUX

Re: APRS beacon testers needed

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:36 pm

I have updated my best RT3S and started testing it, I got some aprs updates after I got a GPS fix this evening.
But now I'm inside the pub drinking some good beers.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:08 pm

I recommend turning on GPS logging when you are testing the beacon while mobile and moving, so that any problems about when the beacon transmits can be compared to the GPS data

The Jumpstar GPS in the older Uv380/RT3S seem to not be very accurate and often missreport positions, speed and direction

M0GZP

Post by M0GZP » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:01 pm

Tried out smart mode in the car this evening. Unfortunately not much coverage in NW London (from Harrow down to Ealing and back), even going through a magmount on the roof I didn't hit aprs.fi even once. However I could hear every time it transmitted, and I have to say that smart mode was genuinely smart, tx'ing on movement and stopping when stopped. I couldn't detect a difference in function between default (0) and car (1) -- does the default basically do car?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:09 am

M0GZP wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:01 pm
Tried out smart mode in the car this evening. Unfortunately not much coverage in NW London (from Harrow down to Ealing and back), even going through a magmount on the roof I didn't hit aprs.fi even once. However I could hear every time it transmitted, and I have to say that smart mode was genuinely smart, tx'ing on movement and stopping when stopped. I couldn't detect a difference in function between default (0) and car (1) -- does the default basically do car?
The default and car are different in Fast Rate (120 vs 180 seconds), Low Speed (5 vs 7 km/h), High Speed (70 vs 90 km/h), Turn Angle (28° vs 30°), Turn Slope by one degree*10/speed, but the Turn Time is the biggest difference (60 vs 15 seconds).
Default values are quite "Generic", it's quite the same value as Kenwood uses in the TH-D74.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:06 pm

Noticed that each aprs transmission activate the backlight which may be unnecessary , tried several backlight settings but I had to use manual.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:01 pm

Which TRX ?

Okay, able to trigger this.

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:35 pm

Hi,
unfortunately I was not able to get the firmware before driving today, I will test it tomorrow or on Monday in this condition. So far some tests I made with "old" RT3s (imprecise module).

If I am not mistaken, default APRS mode after settings reset is Manual, I guess PTT (to make it backwards compatible for those who did get used to PTT push which now again makes normal FM transmission) would probably be better.

Went for a short walk before it started raining, locations were unfortunatelly all over the place due to the used GPS module.

Compression seems to work OK.

Beaconing in smart mode for walk seems to have an issue with sending data too often: since the GPS is so imprecise, the location changes too quickly. I am not sure if the limit of not sending more often than every 5s (which e.g. APRS.fi complains about) is observed in this case, it seemed to me the interval was shorter (walking mode). This would probably be more strict for the transverted HF 300bps mode with message limit in US for which a setting exists in CPS?

@F1RMB: Could you send me the added strings with labels for Czech translation (.h and csv) if the names of settings are finalized? Also, the "Channel" in APRS seems to be a duplicate label for "general" Channel (and "Log" label is not translated, but for Czech it probably does not have to be).

Idea: since you have the profiles for car/walk/etc. would it be possible to add a bit indication in APRS CPS profile to replace the set symbol with the one corresponding to the smart mode setting (i.e. car, walking person, bike, etc.)?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:31 pm

SA0BUX wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:06 pm
Noticed that each aprs transmission activate the backlight which may be unnecessary , tried several backlight settings but I had to use manual.
Fixed. It will be in the next version.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:42 pm

OK2MOP wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:35 pm
Hi,
unfortunately I was not able to get the firmware before driving today, I will test it tomorrow or on Monday in this condition. So far some tests I made with "old" RT3s (imprecise module).

If I am not mistaken, default APRS mode after settings reset is Manual, I guess PTT (to make it backwards compatible for those who did get used to PTT push which now again makes normal FM transmission) would probably be better.
Nope, default APRS mode after a reset is OFF.

OK2MOP wrote:
Went for a short walk before it started raining, locations were unfortunatelly all over the place due to the used GPS module.

Compression seems to work OK.

Beaconing in smart mode for walk seems to have an issue with sending data too often: since the GPS is so imprecise, the location changes too quickly. I am not sure if the limit of not sending more often than every 5s (which e.g. APRS.fi complains about) is observed in this case, it seemed to me the interval was shorter (walking mode). This would probably be more strict for the transverted HF 300bps mode with message limit in US for which a setting exists in CPS?
Well, all the settings are editable for a reason ;-)
Preset are mostly here for testing purpose, I don't even know if they will survive (maybe moved to the User manual), I don't know.
For my case, using my RT3S, the turn time is working correctly, as the GPS module fitted into my radio isn't too inacurate (after I have ~8..10 sats, and an low value HDOP).

OK2MOP wrote:

@F1RMB: Could you send me the added strings with labels for Czech translation (.h and csv) if the names of settings are finalized? Also, the "Channel" in APRS seems to be a duplicate label for "general" Channel (and "Log" label is not translated, but for Czech it probably does not have to be).
"Channel" word is not duplicate, as there is no "Channel" only used word (e.g: Channel details).
I will send you the file.
OK2MOP wrote:
Idea: since you have the profiles for car/walk/etc. would it be possible to add a bit indication in APRS CPS profile to replace the set symbol with the one corresponding to the smart mode setting (i.e. car, walking person, bike, etc.)?
Well, as you know, we're really limited in the header (thing about the GD77 too).
I already thought about this, but it's hard to find a good compromise, plus it would be unpractical to manage user changes (as preset is just a preset, you can tweak any value).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:14 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:42 pm
Nope, default APRS mode after a reset is OFF.
You are right, now I remember. In that case I am just afraid the forum will be flooded by "help, my APRS stopped working" messages once you publish new firmware even with big bold warning about that in release notes.
F1RMB wrote:
OK2MOP wrote:
...Also, the "Channel" in APRS seems to be a duplicate label for "general" Channel (and "Log" label is not translated, but for Czech it probably does not have to be).
"Channel" word is not duplicate, as there is no "Channel" only used word (e.g: Channel details).
I will send you the file.
Thanks, I have tried to translate it as best as possible and sent it back. The Channel I saw was in Channel--VFO, probably. Maybe in future if the space becomes and issue this could be replaced by .channel and .vfo strings and merging of them in menu?
F1RMB wrote:
OK2MOP wrote:
Well, as you know, we're really limited in the header (thing about the GD77 too).
I already thought about this, but it's hard to find a good compromise, plus it would be unpractical to manage user changes (as preset is just a preset, you can tweak any value).
I did not mean the text of message itself, but allowing to auto-change the APRS symbol (and probably setting the primary table /) based on the chosen profile. i.e. !XXXX.XXN/0YYYY.YYE[ in my case is having [ for walk (the same in compressed format, I guess).

What I meant as the suggestion was to use the profile equivalent character ([ for walk profile, > for car, b for bike, < for scooter, s for boat, and if reasonable - which I doubt - $ for APRSDROID)

EDIT: OK, I probably got it, the profile chosen is not saved anywhere as an ID, just the preset values are overwritten.