APRS beacon testers needed

Discussions related to the firmware code development
KJ7PVO

Re: APRS beacon testers needed

Post by KJ7PVO » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:45 am

Just tried this on my RT3S. Works great. Thanks for all the hard work on this project. Opengd77 makes my cheap Chinese radio work like a $300 name brand radio.

i5ekx

Post by i5ekx » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:38 pm

--quote--
Also. Options -> General options ->GPS now has an additional value of "Log" (after NMEA in the list of values)

Selecting Log, causes the GPS position data to be logged into the Flash memory of the radio.

Each time the Log is turned on it creates a new entry, and when log is turned off it closes that entry
The CPS has a new feature to read the NMEA data from the radio and save the data has been recorded in the radio.
--end--

What is stated above is not clear to me: to record GPS data the function to be set is "NMEA", is the "LOG" function only used to open and close the recording? In practice, to record the track must it be kept on NMEA? 73 de I5EKX Alex.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:17 pm

To record the NMEA log into the transceiver, GPS options has to be set to "Log" (options are: Off, On, NMEA, Log).
When "Log" is selected, it still outputs the NMEA sentences to the USB port.

i5ekx

Post by i5ekx » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:58 pm

Thanks Daniel, but what then is the function of the "NMEA" option?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:05 pm

i5ekx wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:58 pm
Thanks Daniel, but what then is the function of the "NMEA" option?
NMEA output is so that the radio can be used as a GPS for other applications e.g by connecting it to a PC running some GPS software.

The reason that logging is not enabled in the NMEA output option, is that it has to write a large amount of data to the limited memory in the radio, and this will eventually wear out the Flash memory in the radio.
i.e Flash memory in these radios is very small, and the chip does not to wear levelling. The firmware can't do wear levelling because there is no spare memory to be used by any form of levelling.

Typically the Flash memory has a life of around 100k write cycles, however if leave NMEA logging turned on for an extended period constantly, then the Flash memory would eventually wear out and your radio would be unusable.

KJ7PVO

Post by KJ7PVO » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:28 am

Will APRS beaconing ever be supported on the RD-5R, even though it does not have built in GPS?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:43 am

It's already supported. Only GPS positioning isn't supported.

KJ7PVO

Post by KJ7PVO » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:02 pm

Thanks, it looks like i have not updated the firmware and cps for a while on my RD-5R. Got everything working last night. I really enjoy this software. keep up the awesome work!

KB8YKF

Post by KB8YKF » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:02 pm

Is it possible to clear Location on radio startup?

Sometimes in manual mode I send a beacon, forgetting I need to check if GPS has acquired location yet - and end up sending my last known location which is somewhere else entirely.

Also, the documentation mentions SmartBeaconing™ modes like Car/Sailing/e-Bike - where is that configured? Thanks!

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... tbeaconing

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:08 pm

"Smart beaconing" sets the parameters to defaults for given activity type. On the APRS settings screen you just push the 1, 2, etc. buttons. You cannot change these presets, they are hardcoded in firmware for now.

Resetting the location on startup is IMO not possible, you would have to switch the channel to one without APRS before turning off and wait until the position is acquired before switching back.