Calibration info

iz5wga

Calibration info

Post by iz5wga » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:30 am

Greetings,

I've just received a Baofeng DM 1801, I'm brand new to opengd77 and I've read about calibration.
Keeping in mind I have nothing to help me analising RF, power and so on, how do I perform it? Do you have somewhat already done I can upload? And afer uploading the bin, do I have to do anything else?

Thanks

IZ5WGA

F1RMB

Re: Calibration info

Post by F1RMB » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:33 am

Hi,
iz5wga wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:30 am
Greetings,

I've just received a Baofeng DM 1801, I'm brand new to opengd77 and I've read about calibration.
Keeping in mind I have nothing to help me analising RF, power and so on, how do I perform it? Do you have somewhat already done I can upload? And afer uploading the bin, do I have to do anything else?

Thanks

IZ5WGA
If you don't have any tool to make measurements, it will be pretty hard to do any calibration adjustments.
The only advice I can give you is to make a backup of every blob (calibration, eeprom, etc), using the "OpenGD77" window, from the "Extra" menu in the CPS, right after the OpenGD77 firmware installation.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

iz5wga

Post by iz5wga » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:02 am

I did it already (backups).
So there's not a calibration file valid for every DM 1801 you can provide, right?
Every 1801transceiver does have its very own calibration file, doesn't it?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 am

iz5wga wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:02 am
Every 1801transceiver does have its very own calibration file, doesn't it?
Calibration in every radio is different slightly different. These values are applied at the factory and saved to the Flash memory.
The factory must have some special calibration program which interfaces to the offical firmware, but I've never seen this program, and there isnt any official way to adjust the calibration

Not all values will be different. Power values will be different, modulation values will be different, and master reference oscillator calibration will be different.

Most other value are identical on 99% of radios.

The OpenGD77 CPS has a calibration screen, under the Extras menu, but the only thing you should possibly adjust is the power calibration.

Do not adjust the modulation levels, unless you have some special DMR 4FSK test equipment.
You can adjust the master reference oscillator by putting the radio into FM and measuring the frequency, if you have an accurate frequency counter.
However normally the reference oscillator value is OK.