Private calls monitor

VK3KYY

Re: Private calls monitor

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:44 pm

da3020 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 am
Hi! Is it possible to hear other people's private calls. I have turned off any filters, so the radio in promiscuous mode, I guess.
But I only see TG numper and PC ID on my screen during some another's call and nothing to hear.
Yes. It should be possible, if they are being transmitted by a RF repeater.

But you won't hear private calls which are transmitted to someone's own hotspot, as the privacy of private calls is handled by the network, and it won't send other people's private calls to your hotspot, unless you deliberately impersonate someone else

And AFIK if you do impersonate someone else by using someone else's ID you will get banned from Brandmeister (I think indefinitely).
(I know someone who got accidental banned and now has to use the local radio club ID as his ID and callsign are banned)

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:59 pm

I wonder how BM determines someone as impersonating another user, as opposed to someone testing the radio using another's Hotspot or another dmr id. I mean with custom firmware it's very easy to change ids.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:43 pm

4I1RAC wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:59 pm
I wonder how BM determines someone as impersonating another user, as opposed to someone testing the radio using another's Hotspot or another dmr id. I mean with custom firmware it's very easy to change ids.
Pehaps if BM sees the same IDs on two different IP addresses