Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

UB3DYP
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:37 am

Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by UB3DYP » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:36 pm

Hello everyone,
I've recently attempted to reflash my TYT MD-9600 with the latest OpenGD77 firmware, expecting a full reset. However, post-flashing, I've noticed that all my previously programmed channels and even the custom welcome screen have been retained.

I'm puzzled as to how this could have happened since I thought the flashing process would overwrite all existing data. Could anyone shed light on what might have caused this and what steps should be taken to ensure a complete reset when flashing the firmware?

Additional information:
I followed the standard flashing procedure.
I was expecting the radio to revert to default settings post-flashing.
The custom welcome screen and channels were inputted manually before the attempt to reflash.
Any insights or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

VK3KYY
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 pm

Settings are retained if there were no new settings added in the version you updated to

Most of the time , we avoid having to change the settings format, as this requires the settings to be reset. However sometimes if we adda new setting, it has tobe initialised to a specific value and the safest way to do this is to force a settings reset

UB3DYP
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:37 am

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by UB3DYP » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:33 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 pm
Settings are retained if there were no new settings added in the version you updated to

Most of the time , we avoid having to change the settings format, as this requires the settings to be reset. However sometimes if we adda new setting, it has tobe initialised to a specific value and the safest way to do this is to force a settings reset
When I press SK2 and turn on the radio to perform a reset settings, the radio stops turning on altogether. The screen is off. To get the radio working again, I have to press the orange button + SK1 and reflash it.

I have been learning and trying out different settings, and now I want a pristine, clean firmware installation.

On tyt-uv380 I was able to reset the settings without any problems, but on 9600 I don’t understand how. I want even the loading screen to become default

VK3KYY
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:40 pm

UB3DYP wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:33 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 pm
Settings are retained if there were no new settings added in the version you updated to

Most of the time , we avoid having to change the settings format, as this requires the settings to be reset. However sometimes if we adda new setting, it has tobe initialised to a specific value and the safest way to do this is to force a settings reset
When I press SK2 and turn on the radio to perform a reset settings, the radio stops turning on altogether. The screen is off. To get the radio working again, I have to press the orange button + SK1 and reflash it.

I have been learning and trying out different settings, and now I want a pristine, clean firmware installation.

On tyt-uv380 I was able to reset the settings without any problems, but on 9600 I don’t understand how. I want even the loading screen to become default
OK.

I think there may be some bug in the settings reset on the MD9600.

I will need to investigate this

UB3DYP
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:37 am

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by UB3DYP » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:11 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:40 pm
OK.

I think there may be some bug in the settings reset on the MD9600.

I will need to investigate this
Can downgrading the firmware to an older version and upgrading to the current one help reset all settings to default? Which firmware should I choose from the old ones?

VK3KYY
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:44 pm

If you downgrade to a much older version, then the settings version will probably be different and that should force a settings update

However we do not keep records of when settings version numbers where changed

User avatar
F1RMB
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 am
Location: Grenoble, France

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by F1RMB » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:18 am

Hi,

I guess you're pressing P2 while booting ?
This is why you're getting black screen, as it's the trick the remote head code uses to enable itself on boot.
SK2 is P1 on the MD9600.


Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:43 am

F1RMB wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:18 am
Hi,

I guess you're pressing P2 while booting ?
This is why you're getting black screen, as it's the trick the remote head code uses to enable itself on boot.
SK2 is P1 on the MD9600.


Cheers.
---
Daniel
I tested on my MD9600 ands it seems P1 during power on or boot is not working :-(

User avatar
F1RMB
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 am
Location: Grenoble, France

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by F1RMB » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:49 am

P3 is settings reset on boot (is that documented ? I will check that).
And it's a hardware limitation, we can't use any other key for that.

User avatar
F1RMB
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 am
Location: Grenoble, France

Re: Retained Settings After Flashing OpenGD77 Firmware

Post by F1RMB » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:51 am

Nope, it's not documented for the MD-9600. I will fix that.

Post Reply