USB connection and feedback loop to PC software

ZL4JOCO

USB connection and feedback loop to PC software

Post by ZL4JOCO » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:56 pm

I believe this is likely to be more focused on the MD-9600 given the USB connection available on the back.
For this station/mobile unit, has any consideration been given to some form of CAT control or other feedback/control loop to PC software?
Or is the USB connection not able to access/influence such data? Or do it so as to not interfer with Rx and Tx functionality?

I have done some trawling of the threads but not stumbled across any conversation/question along these lines re a CAT topic. If such a discussion does exist a link to the relevant thread would be very helpful.

Cheers - James.
ZL4JOCO

VK3KYY

Re: USB connection and feedback loop to PC software

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:33 pm

All radios Except the Boateng RD-5R/DM-5R can transmit while USB is connected, if suppression is applied to the cable

However I can't see a Use-Case for CAT control even on the MD9600 where the audio etc still works with the USB cable connected.

It is not possible to route the audio via USB because the CPU does not have full access to the mic or speaker audio

And no one has figured out how to send and receive DMR text messages using the hardware in these radios, despite multiple people trying to do this.DMR text messages are technically very difficult to implement

ZL4JOCO

Post by ZL4JOCO » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:41 pm

Thank you for the response.

I wont claim to be an expert and I might well be getting the purpose/intent of CAT and DATA interfaces mixed up or blended.

My wondering on this topic came from ideas about the potential for software on PCs (Linux or I guess Windows) being able to leverage and control the radio. For example:
- Contact logging software picking up frequencies or even the callsign from the DMR ID
- Packet radio/digital mode connections and associated transmit control for outbound traffic
- perhaps shifting frequncies, access key menus/functions via larger and more convenient computer screen display
- probably things I am not experienced enough to think of

The DMR text (assume DMR SMS?) would be nice, pitty it appears to be so convoluted. I am guessing that TYT are not interested in collaberating with documenation support? To make their products more attractive? Or is it the dreaded licensing issue?

Cheers - James.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:46 am

1. Yes. It could write the received DMR callsign to the serial port
2. The firmware does not support packet data, becuase the chipset only supports DMR data. Its not currently known whether it would be possible to hack the MD9600 hardware to send or receive packet data. It seems unlikely that any of these radios would be able to receive packet data, but we don't have full hardware documentation for any of these radios
3. Yes. You could use a PC to set the frequency

Re:TYT etc

They don't actually write or even have access the source code to the official firmware. The firmware appears to be written by a department of the Chinese government and is an official secret even to the hardware manufacturers (both TYT and Baofeng)