Scanning analog

KB0PCH

Scanning analog

Post by KB0PCH » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:40 am

I noticed my radio was not picking up repeaters that I had programmed RX CTSS tones while scanning. As a test I created a zone with the same repeaters without the CTSS on the RX frequencies and the radio always stopped for traffic.

I'm guessing the issue is the scan dwell setting. Has anyone found a sweet spot for the setting? I'm currently at the default of 30ms.

Thank you for the awesome firmware!

VK3KYY

Re: Scanning analog

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:16 am

I just tested this on my MD9600 and the scan stops OK using 30mS scan dell time, even if the channel has a RX CTCSS

Did you try adding a simplex channel to your repeater zone, and set it to have Rx CTCSS and see if it stops when you transmit on another FM radio with Tx set to the same CTCSS

You didnt say what version of MD9600 hardware you are running, I tested on the latest V4A aka V5 hardware.
I do have a V2 MD9600 kicking around somewhere but it would take me quite a long time to find it and set it up tp run the same tests and I simply don't have time to do that at the moment.

I also wonder why people set a Rx CTCSS on their radios, unless you have a lot of local QRM.
Juts becuase the repeater transmits CTCSS doesnt mean you have to set your radio to have Rx CTCSS

I know some people say it gives less squelch tail, but IMO squelch and hiss etc are all part of Ham radio and I'm happy to have it.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:22 am

I would add:
Did you tried to check if the CSS tone is the one you set (the FW can scan for this).

DO3HB

Post by DO3HB » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:37 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:16 am

I also wonder why people set a Rx CTCSS on their radios, unless you have a lot of local QRM.
Juts becuase the repeater transmits CTCSS doesnt mean you have to set your radio to have Rx CTCSS
One reason to enable RX CTCSS may be, when the repeater is operating C4FM and FM on the same frequency. Without activated subtone in the FM receiver, the squelch opens at a C4FM transmission and it hisses unpleasantly loud. Therefore e.g. here on FM a 100Hz subtone is also output:
http://www.db0mdx.darc.de/

KB0PCH

Post by KB0PCH » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:53 am

Thank you everyone for your responses! I apologize for not providing enough information, I'm still quite new with the firmware.

I have a V5 radio and here's what first tipped me off there was an issue. I have a zone that is all of the GMRS frequencies (for monitoring). I have another zone that is the local GMRS repeaters, including the CTSS/DCS configured on repeater's output. While scanning all channels, I'll hear repeater traffic on say GMRS Channel 20, but when I press up to continue scanning, it skips right by the channel with the GMRS repeater channel. If I manually select the repeater channel, I hear the traffic just fine, suggesting I do I have the repeater programmed in properly.

I then tried adding a zone with ham repeater outputs and found the radio would always hear the repeater traffic in the zone without CTSS setup, but would often miss (but not 100% of the time) traffic in the zone that had the channel programmed with the repeater's output CTSS.

As for why I use CTSS on the repeater outputs, well it's pretty noisy around here, but if I can't get the radio to behave, perhaps that's the easy fix.

Thanks again everyone!

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:56 am

Hi,

On the front-panel, Up key puts that channel in the nuisance list.
Turn the knob clockwise to just skip it (or use the Up arrow on the mic).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:23 am

FYI, the user manual will be updated regarding scan skip/nuisance.

Cheers.
---
Daniel