[User error] Master Power not working in channel

N6JPH

[User error] Master Power not working in channel

Post by N6JPH » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

So I just installed my MD9600 in my truck. 1st thing I did was load OpenGD77 onto it. For the most part everything seems to be working except the channels honoring the master power setting. My master power is set to 4100 and it cannot go any higher than that and as I understand from reading everything in here that is expected behavior. However all of my channels only show 1W on the display and I can tell by how well I can hit my repeater that its only using that 1W of power. All of my channels (except APRS) are set to use the master value. I cannot find any other references to this issue by anyone else and reading through the manual it sounds like what I setup is correct. Thank you for your help with this. Oh if I change the power through the channel details that does work and the new power level is shown on the display.

N6JPH

VK3KYY

Re: Master Power not working in channel

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 pm

I'm a bit confused

The power level value you describe is the PA drive value, used by the User Defined PA drive setting, displayed as. -W+

The Master Power setting refers to channels not having a specific override power assigned to them.

By default, all channels and VFOs will transmit on the Master Power value

If you set the radio to the User Defined PA drive, which is displayed as -W+ , then you will transmit using the drive level that you have set e.g. 4100

You should Not use the User Defined power level without measuring the output power using a Watt meter
Also the radios are not designed to be run at maximum PA drive

For the MD9600, increasing PA drive to the maximum value actually results in reduction of power and just seems to cause her to be generated by the PA

N6JPH

Post by N6JPH » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:44 pm

I apologize VK3KYY I guess I was looking in the wrong place. The 4100 was what it defaulted to so I've just left it there. I'll dig around in the radio some more and see if I can locate the power level for the radio so that I can get all of the channels bumped up.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:59 pm

N6JPH wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:44 pm
I apologize VK3KYY I guess I was looking in the wrong place. The 4100 was what it defaulted to so I've just left it there. I'll dig around in the radio some more and see if I can locate the power level for the radio so that I can get all of the channels bumped up.
I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

Normally people just set the power level to 40W and then all channels will transmit at 40W

The radio is not capable of producing more than 40W even if you use the User Defined PA drive level set to 4100. In fact you will get less power at that drive level than using the 40W setting, because the PA drive value for the 40W setting is supposed to be set at the factory and the drive value stored in the internal calibration table data

TYT claim the radio is 50W but its not. Well, perhaps on its absolute lowest operating frequeny of around 127MHz it may just manage to produce 50W, but 2m, 40W is about all you can get and 70cm its even less. Probably around 35W

The only reason to change the power level at a channel level, is if you For Example are constantly switching between using a hotspot distant repeaters, so that you don't want to use 40W to transmit to your local hotspot in case it overloads the front end.

Hence you can set the Hotspot channel override power level to e.g. 1W, and swiching to that channel will transmit at 1W
Changing back to your other channels, which don't have an override power setting, they will transmit on whatever power setting you set by turning the power up / down using the controls on the front panel or the mic buttons.

N6JPH

Post by N6JPH » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:05 pm

Ok so what I'm trying to do is get the radio set to the 40W power level. Right now all of my channels are reporting 1W on the transmit side. I'm just trying to get them all set to abide by the master power level. Which I'm guessing for some reason is currently set to 1W. So I'll have to dig through the radio settings to find that setting and adjust it to 40W. I looked in the CPS but couldn't find anything in there for setting the power level at the radio level.
I'm sorry for the confusion that this has caused. I just want to use the full power mode of the radio on all channels.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:54 pm

N6JPH wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:05 pm
Ok so what I'm trying to do is get the radio set to the 40W power level. Right now all of my channels are reporting 1W on the transmit side. I'm just trying to get them all set to abide by the master power level. Which I'm guessing for some reason is currently set to 1W. So I'll have to dig through the radio settings to find that setting and adjust it to 40W. I looked in the CPS but couldn't find anything in there for setting the power level at the radio level.
I'm sorry for the confusion that this has caused. I just want to use the full power mode of the radio on all channels.
Just turn up the power.

Hold down P1 on the front panel and press the Up arrow on the front panel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:57 pm

Its all fully documented in the User Guide , that we spent weeks writing and keeping fully updated

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... g-tx-power

and for key mappings see

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... 0-specific

N6JPH

Post by N6JPH » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:03 pm

Well now I feel dumb lol. I read through that section multiple times and I guess I just kept thinking that it was referring to the channel power like in the channel details. Now I realize that it was not referring to that. I apologize for not realizing that sooner.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:12 pm

N6JPH wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:03 pm
Well now I feel dumb lol. I read through that section multiple times and I guess I just kept thinking that it was referring to the channel power like in the channel details. Now I realize that it was not referring to that. I apologize for not realizing that sooner.
Probably there are too many features.

I'm not sure if any other radios + CPS you can override the power level and set it per channel if you want. Possibly one of the mainstream Japanese radios by Kenwood, Yaesu , Icom etc have this.

Generally the per channel / custom power level feature probably doesn't by most people, but I think somone must have wanted it, or we wouldn't have gone to the effort of adding it as a feature

N6JPH

Re: [User error] Master Power not working in channel

Post by N6JPH » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:43 pm

Thank you V3KYY and all of the devs who build this amazing firmware. Its so nice to be able to update all of my radios with just one CPS. I'm still learning all of the bells and whistles of the OpenGD and I know there are sections that I won't use. I am grateful that you put in the APRS functionality. I wish I could shove it off to the other VFO but I know thats not capable yet or I haven't figured it out. But anyways thank you.