Satellite not receiving

W8CPT

Satellite not receiving

Post by W8CPT » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am

So I installed OPENGD77 on my new TYT MD-9600. I manually entered the GPS coordinates and Radio shows correct grid EN82lo. Time and date are correct. KEPS updated. The passes show accurately and so does the doppler change! But I was on a Tevel Satellite last night and 2 of my fellow hams heard me and one answered and I hear Noone on the pass. Just had a great pass of PO-101...again no one heard. My antenna is perfect match I checked that with my Rig Expert just to be sure. This antenna setup I have made many QSLs with other hams and even 2 NAISS QSLs. I'm at a loss why would my transmit be great but not receiving anyone? Thanks in advance and I'm now W8CPT but I can't seem to change my username!

Also just FYI I transmit and receive great on local repeaters, tried both DMR and Analog simplex and it worked great! LOVE the radio and OPENGD77 but I really bought it for the Satellite doppler correcting and this is really bumming me out!

F1RMB

Re: Satellite not receiving

Post by F1RMB » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:25 am

What kind of antenna are you using for satellite tracking ?

W8CPT

Post by W8CPT » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:35 am

I'm not. I'm using a comet 2x4 on a mag mount and I've made over 100 QSLs with this setup. I also have a handheld arrow and another arrow on a Sarctrac Rotor. I haven't tried them yet but I know 200% that I can hear and make qsos on this antenna setup. The antenna is definitely not the issue. I have a Wouxun KG UV-980P that I have been tuning manually to follow the doppler on this same antenna that I've made well over 100 QSLs on...

W8CPT

Post by W8CPT » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:41 am

Here's two passes I recorded...nothing heard but other hams heard me fine...

https://youtu.be/tprNtWaS6xU?si=a714kHZ3UF5zOfsj

https://youtu.be/Z6GiaCLR0nQ?si=4_33N-UFWX0PdKW3

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:52 am

The antenna is the issue.
You need to have some Az/El control (hand/motors), and use a directionnal antenna to expect to be heard by a satellite.

W8CPT

Post by W8CPT » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 am

You are wrong my friend. You must have missed where I said I made over 100 QSLs on this antenna with my Wouxun KG UV980P and this same antenna and 2 QSLs with astronaut Woody Hoburg with this antenna!

So no it's not the antenna! I've been heavy into the satellites for over a year now and even work the SSB Birds and Greencube with my Kenwood TS-2000 and sarctract rotor. My buddy that heard me on the Tevel was using an HT and rubber duck antenna! So no it's NOT the antenna!

But I will use my handheld Arrow Antenna later today on the ISS just for chits and giggles....

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:04 am

Yeah, directional antennas are so overrated. Polarization as well. :D

W8CPT

Post by W8CPT » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:09 am

Of course directional antennas and following polarization works the best but as I said you can make qsos just fine on a vertical antenna. Just not the whole pass like when tracking the bird. When I'm not at home to use my rotor I chase the birds just fine on my mobile radio and vertical comet 2x4 antenna. So like I stated the antenna is not the issue here. So please stop telling me it is and help me figure out if there's something else like flash was done incorrectly which I don't think so cause everything else works. Maybe the radio has a recieve problem only in Satellite mode. I'm going to appease you and use my hand held arrow antenna later today but if this comet 2x4 works with the Wouxun KG980P it damn well should on this radio and even better tracking the doppler precisely!

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 am

No problem, you're choice.
Good luck (no there is no magical flash weirdness involved here, you flash the correct firmware, the radio works. Period).

W8CPT

Post by W8CPT » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:46 am

Ok...I have no idea how the firmware is written and if something could make the analog and dmr work fine but not the satellite feature.

So with what your saying I'm full of it with the over 100 Satellite QSLs I have made on a vertical antenna and mobile radio and actualyl on an HT too... confirmed qsos say I'm not full of it. And many recordings on my YouTube page like this one with Astronaut Woody Hoburg NA1SS on the SAME antenna!

https://youtu.be/UdTGi7sqUjs?si=NJG19B0RYaYTzOba