New Beta 2024 05 11

F1RMB

Re: New Beta 2024 05 11

Post by F1RMB » Sat May 18, 2024 5:22 am

Okay, thanks for the details.

Maybe you must check the frequency calibration of this problematic 1701 (you have a menu in Options for this).
That could explain the packet loss and high BER.

Check on FM, using an accurate frequency counter, or a SDR receiver, for this.

Also, we're not aware about any hardware change, but we all know about Baofeng QC, so it also suffers from hardware problems.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

YU2MZZ

Post by YU2MZZ » Sat May 18, 2024 6:59 am

F1RMB wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 5:22 am
Okay, thanks for the details.

Maybe you must check the frequency calibration of this problematic 1701 (you have a menu in Options for this).
That could explain the packet loss and high BER.

Check on FM, using an accurate frequency counter, or a SDR receiver, for this.

Also, we're not aware about any hardware change, but we all know about Baofeng QC, so it also suffers from hardware problems.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Maybe it would be easier to send a video somewhere because it's hard for me to explain it, maybe I wouldn't know how to do it properly, because I've already written it to some extent.
Strangely, package losses appear that seem to have come from the Internet, but in fact are lost in MMDVM itself (at least that's how I feel).

I don't have access to measuring equipment and I don't have SDR, so I have to organize it with my friends, but I will definitely look into it

UT7UX

Post by UT7UX » Tue May 28, 2024 6:59 pm

I've got either bugs or operator errors with the beta. My radio is 1701.
  1. In SAT mode I choose ISS and then switch to APRS. It's OK. If I push PTT to TX preprogrammed beacon, only very short AFSK tone bursts for a fraction of second no matter how long I press or how fast I release PTT. So, no entire packet is transmitted but only a non-decodable part. In normal (not SAT) mode beacon transmits OK.
  2. I have set Squelch level as 20% in Radio Options for both VHF and UHF; all channels - Memory, VFO A, and VFO B obey the settings. Still, in SAT mode Squelch resets to default 45% every time I cycle power off and on.
PSE help.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed May 29, 2024 5:19 am

UT7UX wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 6:59 pm
I've got either bugs or operator errors with the beta. My radio is 1701.

1. In SAT mode I choose ISS and then switch to APRS. It's OK. If I push PTT to TX preprogrammed beacon, only very short AFSK tone bursts for a fraction of second no matter how long I press or how fast I release PTT. So, no entire packet is transmitted but only a non-decodable part. In normal (not SAT) mode beacon transmits OK.
Once you trigger the APRS beaconing, it sends the whole packet, regardless of the PTT button state.
What your assumption of the content of data is incomplete or non-decodable is based on ?
Are you monitoring the transmitted data ? Are you using compressed format ?

UT7UX wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 6:59 pm
2. I have set Squelch level as 20% in Radio Options for both VHF and UHF; all channels - Memory, VFO A, and VFO B obey the settings. Still, in SAT mode Squelch resets to default 45% every time I cycle power off and on.

PSE help.
That's the normal behaviour. When entering the Satellite screen for the first time, the "Master" squelch value is used as default value. It will be stored in volatile data, so it won't survive a power cycle.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

UT7UX

Post by UT7UX » Wed May 29, 2024 8:25 am

Shame on me, I have rechecked everything and found it works as described. Power of posting, you know. I apologize for false alarm.
F1RMB wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 5:19 am
Are you monitoring the transmitted data ?
Yes I do. I've got another HT, audio cable, and APRSdroid software. I likely did something wrong with the gear since today I'm getting packets in both SAT and normal mode flawlessly. Still I found APRS PATH is wrong in SAT mode since standard 'ARISS' alias doesn't seem work anymore. As far as I understood PATH is the matter of CPS, not firmware.
F1RMB wrote:
Are you using compressed format ?
No I don't. Does Beaconing Compression setting affect SAT mode?
F1RMB wrote:
That's the normal behaviour. When entering the Satellite screen for the first time, the "Master" squelch value is used as default value. It will be stored in volatile data, so it won't survive a power cycle.
Roger that, thank you very much.

R2AEJ

Post by R2AEJ » Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:57 pm

Hello. I use Baofeng DM-1701 with OpenGD77 built 202405111400923. Hotspot consisting of V1.3 MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat (firmware V 1.5.2) and Raspberry PI 3B+ with the installed Pi-star V 4.2.1.
I made an instrumental adjustment (used UHF frequency meter and a UHF generator), also used the MMDVMcal utility in Pistar, and the radio built-in calibration of the RX and After the tunings everything works very well. The BER error in the pi-star dashboard shows no more than 0.2%. Working in the Brandmeister network.

I discovered the following bugs in the work of CPS and radio.

1. Sometimes the OpenGD CPS puts marks in the "use location" box itself, even if they are removed.I have not found any other bugs in the work of
CPS yet.

2. If you set the display to turn off at the radio settings, that is, min bright: 0%, the radio does not wake up and does not respond when the hotspot
is switched TX on. ECO is off.
This does not happen when working with a city DMR repeater.

3. After first turning on the radio and pressing PTT, the hotspot does not respond. It is only after the second PTT press that I see that the
transmission has started. ECO always off.
It can also happen over a period of time, but ater second PTT press it work well. It looks like falling asleep.

4. Sometimes when I listening TG groups, I see a transmission on the Pistar dashboard, but the radio does't receive it. After switching groups by
encoder, the radio starts receiving again. ECO always off.

I don't discovered the same bugs, when used radio Baofeng DR-1802 with factory firmware.

In general, everything works fine.

There is a request, is it possible, to display of operator data for few seconds longer at long pauses between operators appear.

Thank you for your hard work and best regards from radio amateurs.

Sincerely yours, Stanislav (R2AEJ).

EU1AEQ

Post by EU1AEQ » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:02 am

R2AEJ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:57 pm

I discovered the following bugs in the work of CPS and radio.
I didn't hear that in 1701 either.
I have RT 3S and MD380UV. Both there are decoding failures in the variants:
- The S-meter shows reception, there is no voice or information on the screen.
- There is sound, but instead of speech, there is gurgling or rattling, there is information on the screen.
All this happens on a duplex mdvm_hat. It either never happens on the simplex or it is so rare that it is not noticeable.
After flashing mmdvm to version 1.6.1, the work has become much more stable.
It also makes sense to twist the settings of mmdvm. DMRTXLevel. The default is 50, try the range 45 — 55 units.

R2AEJ

Post by R2AEJ » Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:36 pm

It also makes sense to twist the settings of mmdvm. DMRTXLevel. The default is 50, try the range 45 — 55 units.
Thanks for your reply. I have a slightly different case. As I have already written " аfter switching groups by
encoder, the radio starts receiving again".
There was no such case as "there is sound, but instead of speech, there is gurgling or rattling, there is information on the screen".
But it doesn't matter. I'll update it first to version 1.6.1.

PR7LDR

Post by PR7LDR » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:14 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 4:29 pm

Still, flash the RT-84 image. Vast majority of the DM-1701 has a problem with the LCD panel/bezel position/overlap, so the 8 top lines are skipped to make the header more visible.
Since your DM-1701 don't suffer of this, use the RT-84 FW, as it uses the whole LCD panel (that's the only difference between the two firmware files).

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Thanks Daniel. Very useful information.

F4BFN

Post by F4BFN » Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:30 pm

YU2MZZ wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:29 pm
F1RMB wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:21 pm
YU2MZZ wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 3:05 pm
Sorry

My name is Ilija, YU2MZZ

Everything is ok and i am testing more than two month.

Last arrived have error when work as HS.

4 peaces work good but fro february all comming false and not work good as HS.

Maby something change in factory

Work mode is MMDVM at rasberry 3B+ and at PC MMDVM win
What is your power output while in Hotspot ?. Are you using an external antenna ?
Do you keep the USB cable away from the rubber duck antenna, if you're using it ?
Did you put some ferrite on the USB cable ?
Have you checked the MMDVMHost logs ?

You talking about errors, but don't give any details about it.
I tried to give as short an explanation as possible, but now I will be more precise.

I bought last year in December 1701 and was very satisfied.
I also persuaded my friends to take it because it is cheap and to use the 1701 for HS (because we use Anyton as the main device).

In addition, I also informed other people that they can get involved in DMR in a cheap way and that later they can buy a more expensive device, if they want, and they should not sell the 1701, but put it for HS.

Of course they listened to me and that's where the problem arises.
The 1701 devices that arrived at the beginning of February work well, and the ones that arrived at the end of February, as well as another piece for me yesterday, do not work in the same environment.

So, there is no problem in the setting, but I turn off my working device and put the new one and it immediately does not work as it should.

If I calibrate the device, then I approximate the frequency accuracy for MMDVM, but then the 1701 device itself does not work.

That's why I manually changed the frequency of RX and TX and that's how I made it work, with another 1701 (with Anyton it works in all options, as if Anyton itself finds the correct frequency and locks RX/TX there).

The newly arrived 1701 even have a problem with quality work between them, while Anyton hears without problems and 1701 hears Anyton. (definitely something is wrong with 1701, I haven't tried the original FW because I need the options of openGD)

I hope that the situation is clearer now, and now let me answer the questions

1. I use 50mW and sometimes 500mW
2. I use an external antenna
3. I have some ferrites on the cable (maybe not adequate)

In the logs, I track packet losses, a big ber, and the fact that the modulation does not go through. I also monitored the speed of the connection establishment and thus set everything to work, but the question still remains, what has changed in production that the newly arrived devices do not work like the older ones?
Maybe there has been some change that can be adjusted with one of the next FW, I hope.

I received two pieces, one is ok, the other is not.
A couple of pieces also arrived in Slovenia, one is ok, the other is not.
One piece arrived for my friend, and it is ok.
Another friend received two pieces, I managed to get one to work, the other is ok.
The third friend received six pieces, none of which he was able to adjust, and tomorrow they will send me one so I can try it on.
Two more friends received one piece each and they are fine.
I heard from many people about the same problem, but let's say they didn't know how to find a solution and set it up, so I don't know if it's up to 1701 or the user.

Here is at least one part of the received pieces to explain that I didn't write immediately, but I tried to find where the problem was, so in the end I turned to the group so that more people could locate what it was about and whether there was any salvation for the future of 1701.

That's why I asked the question in the group, because many 1701s are bought at a low price and probably soon many will notice what I'm writing about.

I am forced to switch to some other models on which the HS works properly, even though they are more expensive, and if this problem with the 1701 can be solved, it will be great, because that way we have a cheap device that can serve in all variants of operation.

I hope that I managed to explain the problem and that it is now clearer.
Hello ,
I have the same problem like you
I have 4 recent DM1701 and I have done a lot of test
With the orginal Baofeng firmware : DMR link are OK beetween 2 Baofeng
WIth OpenGD77 : it is erratic, DMR direct link are bad , lot of losses ( at 5 meters )

BER are not stable , same if I tune the calibration
In the repeater : better is 0,9% BER and with the same duration test on local TG9 BER goes to 0,9% to 3% on the same duration TX time
Same problem on my other new Baofeng => on the stable relelase ( 2023 ) and on the Beta Release

I think there is sommething to adjust in the program with this chispet to make it more stable.
Ready for test if you need
Thanks for all the good work !
73's F4BFN