Roger beep function

PU7TKM

Roger beep function

Post by PU7TKM » Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:30 pm

Hello!

I reckon available space is a major concern, but I'm under the assumption that these devices have more memory than other models, so maybe there could be space to store some code to send a tune after the PTT's released.

If such function could be added, I'd be amazed if it could be a customizable tune like the boot up one, but I've a down to earth expectation for it to just forward the same beep as the currently available RX Beep.
Just anything to signal others that the call was deliberately closed after the PTT was let go!

Could that be a possibility to be added to the firmware?

73's

DW7GDL

Re: Roger beep function

Post by DW7GDL » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:13 am

The developers have said several times that roger beeps will never happen in OpenGD77. Most hams find them annoying. Just say "over" before you release PTT.

PU7TKM

Post by PU7TKM » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:05 pm

That's a bummer. I thought it was just due to space constraints, and not over personal decisions from the developers.

I can only hope they change their mind and they, or any other dev able to understand and edit the code, add that feature at some point. Some hams do like it, rather than saying "over", over and over again, for each quick, short QSO. I also think it's gonna be a toggleable feature at any rate, so if someone doesn't like.. just keep it off.

PU2VYW

Post by PU2VYW » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:33 pm

PU7TKM wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:05 pm
That's a bummer. I thought it was just due to space constraints, and not over personal decisions from the developers.

I can only hope they change their mind and they, or any other dev able to understand and edit the code, add that feature at some point. Some hams do like it, rather than saying "over", over and over again, for each quick, short QSO. I also think it's gonna be a toggleable feature at any rate, so if someone doesn't like.. just keep it off.
I agree with you, if someone doesn't want to use the function, just turn it off, this function helps a lot to know the end of the transmission, because for those who are going to use the radio that is not for amateur radio but for work in the security area, this function helps a lot, this in analog.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:59 pm

You can install a beep into a monophone or external microphone.

Have never heard a radio amateur here use a roger beep , it's something 27 MHz people use.

And OpenGD77 is for amateur radio use.

PU7TKM

Post by PU7TKM » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:22 am

Idk about that.. for short QSO's, I constantly rely on others Roger beeps to know that the transmission has ended correctly, or if it was cut off. Also, almost all of those I talk with, use Roger beeps.
Even the reachable repeater around here has a Roger beep, to acknowledge that the transmission has ended correctly (or that it's been cut off and your transmission didn't come through)

I find roger beeps useful, but considering I have no knowledge on how to add this function to the code, I can only display an interest for it, so any willing dev can see a demand for this, and, out of kindness, add this function.

KC6WOG

Post by KC6WOG » Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:43 am

SA0BUX wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:59 pm
Have never heard a radio amateur here use a roger beep , it's something 27 MHz people use.

I've heard roger beeps used by licensed amateurs...invariably followed by other amateurs insisting they turn it off!! The beeps are often on by default in cheap Chinese radios and are used accidentally.

I can't speak for practices in other nations, but in the United States, such beeps are not used or tolerated by amateurs. It's just not done.

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:51 am

Hello,

is there anybody, that would help me, how to change RX BEEP sounds - start and end (voice) and TX Beep sound for start and end of voice call? I would really like to make some custom beeps, not those stock one.

PU7TKM

Post by PU7TKM » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:58 pm

KC6WOG wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:43 am
SA0BUX wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:59 pm

I've heard roger beeps used by licensed amateurs...invariably followed by other amateurs insisting they turn it off!! The beeps are often on by default in cheap Chinese radios and are used accidentally.

I can't speak for practices in other nations, but in the United States, such beeps are not used or tolerated by amateurs. It's just not done.
I reckon it could be a nuisance if you're just chatting with other amateurs on a static station, or trying to reach long ranged communications with other repeaters and stuff.

But for mountaineering, hiking, off-roading and general mobile usage, the roger beep sounds very useful, as you're mobile and subject to sudden interferences, and also using a relatively weak antenna, that is also subject to interference.

As I mentioned, it's often used by those I usually talk with, but I do concede I'd particularly not use it when just chatting on brandmeister, for example.

In any case, it'd supposedly be a toggleable function, if it ever comes to life. Those who dislike it, could disable it, and those who like it, could enable it.
Shun those who do use, or those who don't use; at least, having the option to do so would be welcome :lol: