Auto APRS

EB3AM

Auto APRS

Post by EB3AM » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:07 pm

Hello, I haven't been on the forum for a long time, as work has been taking up a lot of my time. too much.

I have been able to see a lot of changes lately in the software. And I saw you added APRS tx.
I don't know if what I'm going to say now already does, and I didn't understand the manual, or maybe you're still implementing it.

Talking with colleagues, we have seen that it would be good if with radio equipment with GPS, the position could be sent automatically, for example every 5 minutes.
Where I live, there are many APRS stations set up in the mountains, on vhf, all on the same frequency (144.800) that could listen to the automatic transmissions of the walkies and send them to the network.
Thus, any person via APRS.FI, for example, could see the route we take.
Taking advantage of the dual watch code, it would be easy to implement an automation that every X minutes change from the frequency they are listening to that of APRS, send the position and return to where you were listening previously. Even, a watchdog could be set that avoids APRS transmission if there is activity on the RX frequency.

Again, maybe the software is already doing it and I just haven't found it. But if he doesn't, could he?

thanks

George

VK3KYY

Re: Auto APRS

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:37 am

Automatic is on the very long list of things which will eventually be implemented.

But APRS is still experimental and still needs many bugs to be fixed first, and also there are also many other things to do.

We only have limited time each day to work on the firmware, becuase we must also work to pay the bills and live

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:53 pm

Thanks
I haven't said this before, I think, but I think the manufacturers could take an example of what you are doing with this firmware.
Not only for the DMR equipment, but also for the other digital modes, and the FM.
The firmware is now the hot dream of many radio amateurs and you are still improving it, day by day.
I was able to be there a little at the beginning, even with the translations and some simple code changes, but at the moment it's absolutely impossible for me since I left working for a company for 23 years and now I'm self-employed. This fills up 25 hours of my day, leaving me very little free time to do anything important. And guys, what you do is very important!
Thank you very much!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:15 pm

The firmware and CPS development take around 50% of my total spare time
Daniel also spends a huge amount of time working on the firmware

I don't think people realise quite how long it takes to develop firmware for these radios under the very tight constraints of very little memory etc

Probably people think its just like writing some simple Arduino or Python program where everything is already done by someone else

In the firmware, because of our license, we almost always have to write everything from scratch, so that we don't have a license conflict with GNU etc

Very small change needs to be considered in incredible detail for memory usage and also CPU performance. etc

Hence why its quite disrespectful when people tell us that they want some feature and why didnt we do this, becuase they think its all easy.
They should learn to program and develop for microcontrollers themselves

W4TAB

Post by W4TAB » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:31 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:15 pm
The firmware and CPS development take around 50% of my total spare time
Daniel also spends a huge amount of time working on the firmware

I don't think people realise quite how long it takes to develop firmware for these radios under the very tight constraints of very little memory etc

Probably people think its just like writing some simple Arduino or Python program where everything is already done by someone else

In the firmware, because of our license, we almost always have to write everything from scratch, so that we don't have a license conflict with GNU etc

Very small change needs to be considered in incredible detail for memory usage and also CPU performance. etc

Hence why its quite disrespectful when people tell us that they want some feature and why didnt we do this, becuase they think its all easy.
They should learn to program and develop for microcontrollers themselves
I can only speak for myself, I am extremely greatful for the team and every single person that are making this project a reality. I understand that this takes time and people's time is the most valuable thing they can donate. Thank you all for all your dedication to make our hobby that much more exciting and enjoyable.

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:36 pm

I hope you didn't misunderstand my comment on the topic of the post. In no way have I made a disrespectful demand.
I know very well that you do a great job, especially after the licensing problems that almost stopped the project.
The reason for the post was not to make a demand, but rather a suggestion, which we think is interesting for all.
I understand very well that the time you spend on it is a lot and that you could spend it on anything else. And that is why we are grateful to you.
I think it may be due to the translation that my words were not understood well. If so, I apologize, but English is not my strong point, and I use automatic translations, which may change the meaning of what I say and I am not aware of it.
Or maybe I didn't understand your comments for the same reason.

In any case, I repeat, thank you very much for the great work you are doing.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:46 am

EB3AM wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:36 pm
I hope you didn't misunderstand my comment on the topic of the post. In no way have I made a disrespectful demand.
I know very well that you do a great job, especially after the licensing problems that almost stopped the project.
The reason for the post was not to make a demand, but rather a suggestion, which we think is interesting for all.
I understand very well that the time you spend on it is a lot and that you could spend it on anything else. And that is why we are grateful to you.
I think it may be due to the translation that my words were not understood well. If so, I apologize, but English is not my strong point, and I use automatic translations, which may change the meaning of what I say and I am not aware of it.
Or maybe I didn't understand your comments for the same reason.

In any case, I repeat, thank you very much for the great work you are doing.
Its OK. I was agreeing with you.

Its Not you that makes crazy requests for usless features ;-)