Troubleshooting a mute radio :-(

N1LSJ

Troubleshooting a mute radio :-(

Post by N1LSJ » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:44 am

So, I made an awesome codeplug for my RT-3S but I noticed that the receive "bar" shows constant activity where the manual says it should only appear when it receives a valid digital signal?
Besides that, when I transmit to the "parrot" talkgroup on a local repeater it afterwards shows a strong signal of about the same duration as I talked but I don't hear anything :'( . Should I just shoot myself now and release myself from DMR hell or is there something more constructive I can do to "fix" it?

ZL2MGS

Re: Troubleshooting a mute radio :-(

Post by ZL2MGS » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:25 am

The constant and apparently random receive activity is pretty much normal for DMR.

I've never been able to get any audio back from a "parrot" TG - so I flagged that and did my testing with a real QSO, much more interesting.

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:45 pm

ZL2MGS wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:25 am
I've never been able to get any audio back from a "parrot" TG - so I flagged that and did my testing with a real QSO, much more interesting.
Thanks for that.
I did look at another codeplug and googled the subject. It seems there are two Parrot IDs, 9998 and 9990 - and they can be on either timeslot. And some have it as a 'group call" and some as a "private call". I think my next step is to add all of the possible permutations and try them on the two or three repeaters that might be in range of me.
I do think i was able to hit a parrot once with the first codeplug I loaded but don't remember the details of how to re-create what I did then :-/

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:22 pm

https://seattledmr.org/ seems to be a rather autonomous system with some connections to brandmeister talkgroups and "Pacific Northwest Digital DMR Networks"

Differs a lot from standard Brandmeister , DMR+ and other more global reflectors..

I think it's best to contact someone working with with that system.

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:36 am

Think I found the issue - the CPS has a HUGE bug in it, .csv export does NOT export the color codes. All of mine were wiped as I was exporting and then editing the .csv file to import again :( :( :(

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:22 am

I'm now able to get a parrot on one of the three DMR repeaters I think are in range to respond.
As for trying a QSO, nobody local here seems to like to play radio even with a host of awesome repeaters available :( . I put up my own parrot GMRS repeater just to have something to talk to :mrgreen: - two of those awesome repeaters are GMRS, three DMR, one 2M and one 70cm. What a waste :(

KC6WOG

Post by KC6WOG » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:02 am

ZL2MGS wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:25 am
Parrot works fine for me. I tell it name, location, type of radio and the temperature. Moments later it says the same back to me. Pretty much exactly like a real QSO on TG91!!

ZL2MGS

Post by ZL2MGS » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:18 pm

I'll take our word for that - I've never bothered with TG91 - it sounds about as interesting as a DX competition.