Radio VHF problem

Pu8ypf

Radio VHF problem

Post by Pu8ypf » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:01 am

Hello radio friends. I'm looking for a solution for my Retevis RT3s radio that I haven't been able to solve for a long time. I hope someone can help me. Come on, the radio doesn't receive in VHF, the 145-174 band doesn't work in repeater mode, it only works if I'm in simplex, from radio to radio. I've done everything using the software, I've reset it with the factory codeplug and nothing. I believe it is a hardware problem. (While in UHF it works normally).

N1LSJ

Re: Radio VHF problem

Post by N1LSJ » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:47 am

Post your codeplug (or DM it to me) so's we can have a look-see :)

Pu8ypf

Post by Pu8ypf » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:23 am

codeplug I'm using
Attachments
433.090_OPENGD_.g77
(128 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:49 pm

There is no VHF channel in your codeplug.
In your opening post, it's not really clear about the problem you have, as you say one thing and the opposite.
Are you able to receive and transmit in VHF simplex ? Analog ? DMR ?
Are you able to receive any VHF analog repeater (after double checking the RX/TX shift direction) ? Analog ? DMR ?

BTW, you forgot to introduce yourself in the dedicated section.

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:54 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:49 pm
There is no VHF channel in your codeplug.
Nor any valid DMR repeaters - oy vey

Pu8ypf

Post by Pu8ypf » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:48 am

I can receive and transmit in VHF (SIMPLEX) both in analogue and DMR, but now in repeater I receive nothing. I even have another radio next door receiving a local repeater, while my Retevis remains silent. I've already searched several videos on YouTube and didn't find anything similar to my problem. The codeplug I'm using is for use with a 433.090 hotspot, so there are no VHF channels. However, in the radio's VFO mode, I have this problem. Strong 73 everyone

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:57 am

Pu8ypf wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:48 am
I can receive and transmit in VHF (SIMPLEX) both in analogue and DMR, but now in repeater I receive nothing. I even have another radio next door receiving a local repeater, while my Retevis remains silent. I've already searched several videos on YouTube and didn't find anything similar to my problem. The codeplug I'm using is for use with a 433.090 hotspot, so there are no VHF channels. However, in the radio's VFO mode, I have this problem. Strong 73 everyone
What you are saying makes no sense.

If you transmit on the output frequency of the repeater, using another radio, and you can receive that signal into the OpenGD77 radio, then it will be able to receive the repeater, unless the problem is the receiver is completely deaf.

i.e When you say it works on Simplex, do you mean you had a simplex contact with someone, or just that you transmitted 1W on another radio, which was only 1m away, and you can receive it.

i.e If the antenna connector is broken on the PCB then you would hear your other radio and not the repeater, because there would be enough RF from the other radio to not need even the antenna connection

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:08 am

If you didn't program the VHF analog repeater into your codeplug like all the rest of us do we can't help you - I'm not even sure it is possible to talk with a repeater without it being programmed into the codeplug :shock:

BTW the way you programmed your hotspot into the codeplug isn't the optimum way of using OpenDG77. Maybe you would be better off going back to the original firmware so that Retevis's support can help you out.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:06 am

N1LSJ wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:08 am
I'm not even sure it is possible to talk with a repeater without it being programmed into the codeplug :shock:
It is possible to configure both VFO's to communicate with a repeater.

VFO A and B are actually just special types of channels which have an additional paramater of frequency step, which is the value the VFO changes when you press Up / Down or use the rotary control

You can get the "Channel Details" of either VFO by pressing SK2 + Green when you are in the VFO, where you can set all the normal parameters of a channel including CTCSS and separate Tx and Rx frequencies

Additionally the Quick Menu for the VFO allows you to do things like unlink (un - bind) the Tx and Rx frequencies so you can change either of them separately, or you can lock them together with whatever offset you initially set them to.

N1LSJ

Post by N1LSJ » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:20 am

Thanks for the info!