Tried searching the forum but was unable to find info on updating firmware

KD2GOO

Tried searching the forum but was unable to find info on updating firmware

Post by KD2GOO » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:31 am

Couldn't find if this was posted somewhere, my apologizes if this was already discussed but when a new firmware is released how do you go about updating it? Im assuming you go to the firmware loader but do you have to reinstall the donor file and then click the box above choosing which firmware file you want and thats it?

Also once doing a firmware update do you lose your codeplug? Just wondering if i should export it first before doing a firmware update.

Thank you for the help in advance

VK3KYY

Re: Tried searching the forum but was unable to find info on updating firmware

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:59 am

KD2GOO wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:31 am
Couldn't find if this was posted somewhere, my apologizes if this was already discussed but when a new firmware is released how do you go about updating it? Im assuming you go to the firmware loader but do you have to reinstall the donor file and then click the box above choosing which firmware file you want and thats it?

Also once doing a firmware update do you lose your codeplug? Just wondering if i should export it first before doing a firmware update.

Thank you for the help in advance
I'm very suprised that searching the web you found nothing about updating the firmware.

You have to use the OpenGD77 CPS to install the OpenGD77 firmware.
How you put the radio into update (Device firmware update) mode, depends on what radio you have. i.e You have not said what radio type you have

Updating from the official firmware, the existing codeplug in the radio will not work. You will need to make a new codeplug in the OpenGD77.

I'm not aware of any program to convert other formats into OpenGD77 codeplug format

KD2GOO

Post by KD2GOO » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:03 am

Oh no i found the info to put opengd77 on the radio. What i was wondering was how do i update the opengd77 firmware when a newer version comes out.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:17 am

Just use the OpenGD77 CPS to load the new firmware as you did originally. Your codeplug will not be lost. If you have previously selected the donor file in the computer you should not need to do this again.

Occasionally your radio settings may be reset, this only happens if new settings have been added.

KD2GOO

Post by KD2GOO » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:02 pm

Okay great thank you!