Audio trouble sometime - UV390

ve2dka

Audio trouble sometime - UV390

Post by ve2dka » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 pm

Hi !
I have a sound problem with my UV-390. Sometimes instead of hearing the station, I hear noise like big "hum noise”. But the audio on my other radio is ok!

They came back normally like the next transmission.

Thanks !

73!
UV-390 with the lastest opengd-77 version.

VK3KYY

Re: Audio trouble sometime - UV390

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:46 pm

FM or DMR

ve2dka

Post by ve2dka » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:05 pm

DMR ! Sorry..

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:03 pm

OK.

What network are you on, what repeater are you using, what is the "other" radio
Is the radio in a charger ?

Are you listening to a Ham radio signal and if do what network etc

SP1KC

Post by SP1KC » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:36 am

Hi.
Check out this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2926&start=10
There is a short video showing the strange noise.
Do you have a similar one?
Kris, SP1KC

EU1AEQ

Post by EU1AEQ » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:16 am

SP1KC wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:36 am
Hi.
Check out this topic:
Kris, SP1KC
Many people have this error and noise on 380/390/RT 3S. Noise or a complete lack of modulation, while the RSI shows reception, but the speaker's call sign does not appear on the screen. I have written a question about this error several times. I was told that this is a bad hardware radio station. The frequency of occurrence of such an error has increased significantly after the appearance of a color screen and the display of the volume level. I do not know exactly when it happened. Now I have the factory firmware in RT3S. For several days, I have not yet detected any sound loss or noise like in the video. I keep watching.

SP1KC

Post by SP1KC » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:19 pm

This is not a repeater problem. For this issue I bought another rt3s. The first one has the original firmware, the second one has opengd77. During rx only opengd77 has errors or no rx when rssi. Original works fine. The opengd77 team is doing a lot of work and many thanks for that. But I guess they don't listen to us.
73, Kris SP1KC

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:23 pm

SP1KC wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:19 pm
This is not a repeater problem. For this issue I bought another rt3s. The first one has the original firmware, the second one has opengd77. During rx only opengd77 has errors or no rx when rssi. Original works fine. The opengd77 team is doing a lot of work and many thanks for that. But I guess they don't listen to us.
73, Kris SP1KC
If you analyse the problem, and try to isolate when it occurs we may have a chance to fix it.

Just posting that sometimes you don't hear any audio is not enough information, especially considering that only a very few people experience this problem

Stats for the downloads of the latest release version for the UV380 are over 750+ downloads with another 500+ downloads for the DM1701 version, which is identical RF + CPU etc hardware, and perhaps max of 5 people reported a problem.

i.e < 0.5% have some problem.

And I read the threads where people claimed a similar problem and some of these were because the signal was not DMR, or possibly encrypted etc.

So possible you are the only person with this exact problem, and other people have other problems.

Most likely the DMR signal you are receiving has differences, which prevent the firmware from processing the signal.

For Example.
I noticed a strange problem when listening to one of my local DMR+ repeaters last week, where the DMR ID was not appearing, but I could hear the audio OK. Other repeaters on the same network showed the ID or Callsign

However before I could add some debugging to understand why the data from the repeater was not being parsed, the repeater started transmitting the correct data again.

Perhaps you already posted the details of the repeater, the network, the station who was transmitting etc, but I can't find those details.

Also. If you say that some previous version of the OpenGD77 firmware work, but the latest version does not, then we need to know the version where this problem first occurred. i.e you need to reload previous versions, in sequential order and tell us exactly which version this the first version where this problem started. We than then analyse what differences were in that version.

i.e we need the git commit revision as show on the Firmware Info screen.

The firmware source code for the Release version is available to download, so you can also compile / build your own version and attempt to understand the problem yourself.

ve2dka

Post by ve2dka » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:58 pm

SP1KC wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:36 am
Hi.
Check out this topic:
Kris, SP1KC

Hi !
Sorry being late !
Yes its exactly what I'm talking about for the strange sound. I'm on Brandmeister.
While I have this strange sound "sometime", other radios (MD-380, Anythone 878) Rx at the same time are OK with the real conversation. I use duplex Hotspot and listen both timeslots on multiple radio. No encryption. Not on the charger, but sometime yes. I'm on TG like 3022 (Quebec TG).
Version Built: 20231231192827, CPU: TYT

I don't have this strange sound often It doesn't bothers me to much for now. It's more to declare it and maybe have a fix in a near future !

Thanks ! 73!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:35 pm

Dropouts and strange noises are problems when the radio can't decode the DMR audio data

Anytone radios have much better hardware and are able to handle lower quality DMR data. MD-380 also has completely different RF and demodulation hardware

Did you test using a MD9600? This has similar RF hardware to the MD-380

Note.
When I write MD-380 I mean the old single band radios, not the UV380

Duplex hotspots are renound for being quite unreliable, and the MMDVM_HS hotspots in general don't produce good quality DMR signals and need a lot of calibration to work at all.