Change Master Tx Power?

M7PKY

Change Master Tx Power?

Post by M7PKY » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:00 pm

According to the manual, to change the Master TX power I need to change the power level on a channel which is set to Master from the radio. Doing this, the power level in the top bar shows in bold, and changing channels, the change to the power is not retained for that specific channel, much less for all other channels set to Master.

To change this I have been using Channel Details.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks!

VK3KYY

Re: Change Master Tx Power?

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

M7PKY wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:00 pm
According to the manual, to change the Master TX power I need to change the power level on a channel which is set to Master from the radio. Doing this, the power level in the top bar shows in bold, and changing channels, the change to the power is not retained for that specific channel, much less for all other channels set to Master.

To change this I have been using Channel Details.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks!
Thats not quite how it works.

If a Channel, or VFO is set to use the Master power level, then changing the power on that channel or the VFO will change the Master power level and effect all other channels and VFOs that are set to use

By default all channels and VFO will be set to use the Master power.

Hence when you change the power on any channel or on the VFO, the radio will continue with that power level when you change channel or use the VFOs.

The channel , or VFO, specific power setting is an override. i.e if you change to a channel which you have set a specific power level, then that channel, or VFO will use that power level.
Adjusting that power level will not affect any other channels or the Master power setting.
On a channel with a power override, if you change the power on the channel screen, this power level is not saved back to the codeplug, its only temporary.

If you want to permanently change the power override level on a Channel or VFO, you need to go into the Channel details screen, and use the procedure to save the current temporary changes, into the codeplug. See the User Guide for specifics of saving permanently.

When you change from a Channel with a power override to another channel that uses the Master power setting, the radio will go back to operating with the Master power

M7PKY

Re: Change Master Tx Power?

Post by M7PKY » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm

Ah. I expected the Channel Details to affect the Master for everything. I see SK2 + Up/Down adjusts the Master across all channels set to Master, that's where I was going wrong.

Thanks!