DMR not working; analog is fine

K7WFB

DMR not working; analog is fine

Post by K7WFB » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:46 pm

I'm using a brand new Retevis RT-3S and my OpenGD77 CPS version is R2024.03.30.01. My firmware version is 20231231192827. I've checked for "Firmware Loader [+DMR]" and it's there.

CPS works fine. Analog channels work fine. Satellites works fine.

DMR operation: All filters are off. Rx and Tx frequencies are correct. Retrevis screen looks normal before pressing PTT, showing proper TimeSlot and Color Code, and 5W (plenty to reach my repeater 2 miles away). When I press PTT, seconds start counting up. But listening on a DVStick and Brandmeister Hoseline, I hear nothing and there's no evidence that they've heard the Retevis. Transmitting from the DVStick, I hear nothing on the Retevis.

After releasing the PTT, the Retevis signal meter goes to 80% for a few seconds. If I press monitor during that time, I hear a few seconds of a buzzing sound. 

If I change to the wrong color code, when I press the PTT the seconds stay at zero and the screen switches to "TimeOut". So I guess I'm hitting the repeater, but getting rejected on something other than the color code. The same thing happens if I set the offset wrong.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

VK3KYY

Re: DMR not working; analog is fine

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:59 pm

K7WFB wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:46 pm
I'm using a brand new Retevis RT-3S and my OpenGD77 CPS version is R2024.03.30.01. My firmware version is 20231231192827. I've checked for "Firmware Loader [+DMR]" and it's there.

CPS works fine. Analog channels work fine. Satellites works fine.

DMR operation: All filters are off. Rx and Tx frequencies are correct. Retrevis screen looks normal before pressing PTT, showing proper TimeSlot and Color Code, and 5W (plenty to reach my repeater 2 miles away). When I press PTT, seconds start counting up. But listening on a DVStick and Brandmeister Hoseline, I hear nothing and there's no evidence that they've heard the Retevis. Transmitting from the DVStick, I hear nothing on the Retevis.

After releasing the PTT, the Retevis signal meter goes to 80% for a few seconds. If I press monitor during that time, I hear a few seconds of a buzzing sound. 

If I change to the wrong color code, when I press the PTT the seconds stay at zero and the screen switches to "TimeOut". So I guess I'm hitting the repeater, but getting rejected on something other than the color code. The same thing happens if I set the offset wrong.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
sounds like you are trying to access a repeater, i.e the Tx and Rx frequencies are not the same. Is this what you are doing?

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:58 pm

From your description it sounds like you are accessing the repeater OK but possibly with the wrong Talkgroup set. Or maybe you have programmed a private call instead of a group call. I would check your talkgroup programming.

K7WFB

Post by K7WFB » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:33 am

Yes, I am trying to access a 70 cm repeater. I've double-checked that I have the transmit and receive frequencies set correctly, that the color code is correct, and that the talk group is correct. Also is it set correctly for a group call. I have tried two different repeaters within two miles of my house, a location that I can hit easily with 5 watts. Both repeaters are on-air according to repeaterbook.com.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:58 am

K7WFB wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:33 am
Yes, I am trying to access a 70 cm repeater. I've double-checked that I have the transmit and receive frequencies set correctly, that the color code is correct, and that the talk group is correct. Also is it set correctly for a group call. I have tried two different repeaters within two miles of my house, a location that I can hit easily with 5 watts. Both repeaters are on-air according to repeaterbook.com.
Do you hear any traffic from either repeater, i.e either DMR or FM or some other protocol.

Often repeaters are multimode and even if you can hear digital signals, it may be some other digital mode.

K7WFB

Post by K7WFB » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:59 am

No, here is what I hear on the Retevis:
1. On FM analog, good quality audio.
2. On DMR, that that buzz I mentioned.
3. On DMR when I press and hold the monitor button (SK2), I hear the sort of background noise you might hear on FM or HF when there's no carrier present.

BTW, there was a typo in my last message -- the radio is set correctly for a group call

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:04 am

K7WFB wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:59 am
3. On DMR when I press and hold the monitor button (SK2), I hear the sort of background noise you might hear on FM or HF when there's no carrier present.
You mean unsquelched noise.

In which case there is no signal present

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:23 am

Your description indicates that you are accessing the repeater OK but the content of your transmission is not being accepted.

You have checked the talkgroup settings, timeslot and colour code, that only really leaves your user ID. Have you entered it correctly? Some Repeaters will only pass traffic from valid user IDs.

K7WFB

Post by K7WFB » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:59 pm

Yes, I'm hearing unsquelched noise. I've double-checked my DMR ID (RadioID.net) and it's entered correctly.

My two local DMR repeaters hosted a net this morning. I was able to watch the progress of the net on their bridgewatch site. But I couldn't hear the net on the Retevis. And when I pressed the PTT, nothing showed up on the bridgewatch site. This was true for both repeaters.

One new clue: At one point during the net, I killed the squelch and was able to hear one repeater gives its ID in CW. So some part of the Retevis DMR receiver is working.

A few questions:
1. When adding a channel, I enter a TG List, I leave the Contact set at N/A, and I leave the Repeater Slot set at either 1 or 2. (I assume this Repeater Slot is overridden by the one in the Digital Contact entry. ) Is this all OK?
2. For parrots and audio test items, I set them as a private call. Correct?

K7WFB

Post by K7WFB » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:33 pm

In my last post, I noted that I heard a DMR repeater identify itself using CW. From that I guessed that the DMR part of my Retrevis was working. But that may be untrue.

I did some quick research on how DMR repeaters identify themselves. It appears that the CW ID is not transmitted using DMR, but instead with keyed-carrier CW or CW on an FM signal. If this is true, then my guess was wrong.