Updated localisation files 2024 01 04

OK2MOP

Re: Updated localisation files 2024 01 04

Post by OK2MOP » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:03 pm

Hi,
the file you have sent me contains identical translation data with a few exceptions concerning XML file structure:
  • Empty lines have been stripped (OK)
  • Comments I have added have been stripped (probably intentional step)
  • End of line markers are still <CR> not <CR><LF> as was the case in original file. I am attaching the modification of your copy with <CR><LF>s and the fix of the broken file including BOM header.
Is anything of that important for committing the file for you locally? Next time I must not trust the browser to not modify the file and use wget instead.
Attachments
Czech-20230117b.zip
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:58 pm

OK2MOP wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:03 pm
Hi,
the file you have sent me contains identical translation data with a few exceptions concerning XML file structure:
  • Empty lines have been stripped (OK)
  • Comments I have added have been stripped (probably intentional step)
  • End of line markers are still <CR> not <CR><LF> as was the case in original file. I am attaching the modification of your copy with <CR><LF>s and the fix of the broken file including BOM header.
Is anything of that important for committing the file for you locally? Next time I must not trust the browser to not modify the file and use wget instead.
Thanks for the test.
The original line ending is \n, not DOS format.

For the next time, well, just get the XML file located in your CPS installation subdirectory (Language/CPS), that would avoid unwanted changes (I personnaly use emacs to edit, nothing fancy.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:28 pm

IMO .. Never use a XML editor for the CPS language file because we do not know whether it's 100% standards compliant and unless you use a diff program you don't know whether an editor changed something other than only the text that you wanted to change

In this case it sounds like the editor made many unrequested changes to the file

On Windows use the Notepad++ editor

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:10 pm

Hi Roger,
just to clarify (as it might have been lost in previous discussion), I did not use any XML editor, just edited it in standard vim/vimdiff, and then in gedit to have spell check marking the words (neither of them is modifying the XML this way). I was crosschecking everything against the English XML file and testing it with CPS on Windows virtual machine, that's how I found the issues with missing labels which cannot be translated and duplicate sections in English XML file.

The problem was elsewhere - since the timestamp on the file uploaded to web was newer, I have expected some potential changes, and I have clicked the link in FireFox browser and saved it (instead of downloading it externally via wget). But the web browser itself stripped the BOM data (which BTW is not displayed in vim/vimdiff/gedit) and reformatted the XML document including the preamble. As I have downloaded the English/French XML files the same way, I did not see any differences which would indicate an issue with the XML file. That's why I was confused when the problem was reported because even checking against the original downloaded file the diff did not indicate any issues.

Regards,
Pavel, OK2MOP

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:17 pm

Hi Pavel

OK.

Reading the posts I thought they said that an XML editor was used and the end tags had change and also something with the line ending

I don't know about firefox etc modifying the XML. Probably zipping the file would solve this problem ?

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:41 pm

Hi,
VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:17 pm
Reading the posts I thought they said that an XML editor was used and the end tags had change and also something with the line ending
That's what Daniel F1RMB expected when he found the issues with my file. What I think what the FireFox browser is doing is that it loads the XML DOM into memory and then serializes it back when saving.

The line ending discrepancy is probably due to CPS being built on Windows but me and Daniel using Linux, I suppose auto adjustment of line endings of source codes happens automatically with git (installed CPS version has \r\n for XML files but Daniel says original version contains UNIX \n only).

ZIP file would be one possibility, forcing the file to save with changed Content-type as well, but maybe the warning in this thread will be enough to prevent others from making the same mistake as me. BTW I have now checked Chrome and it saves the unmodified XML file, so Chromium derivates (e.g. Edge) will probably work the same way. And I am not sure if anybody else besides me is using FF nowadays.

73 and GN (here), Pavel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:50 pm

OK2MOP wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:41 pm
Hi,
VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:17 pm
That's what Daniel F1RMB expected when he found the issues with my file. What I think what the FireFox browser is doing is that it loads the XML DOM into memory and then serializes it back when saving.
OK.

Thanks

PR7LDR

Post by PR7LDR » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:07 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:31 pm
I will be contacting all translators via email asking them to check and update their translations if possible, however there are several people I do not have email addresses for.

Please can all translators review the translation file, because I think many languages are not fully translated or not translated at all.

I also noticed that the CPS is not translated into all languages that the firmware and voice prompts have been translated into, e.g. Dutch and Hungarian etc are missing :-(
Hi Roger, the Portuguese Brazilian translation has several texts not translated. I wanna help to translate to this language, if the original translator can't do.

Please point me to the right directions to do so.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:42 pm

PR7LDR wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:07 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:31 pm
I will be contacting all translators via email asking them to check and update their translations if possible, however there are several people I do not have email addresses for.

Please can all translators review the translation file, because I think many languages are not fully translated or not translated at all.

I also noticed that the CPS is not translated into all languages that the firmware and voice prompts have been translated into, e.g. Dutch and Hungarian etc are missing :-(
Hi Roger, the Portuguese Brazilian translation has several texts not translated. I wanna help to translate to this language, if the original translator can't do.

Please point me to the right directions to do so.
We have some changed pending for Portuguese Brazilian; please wait until after the next release

EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:19 pm

Hi,

Please find attached Spanish.xml CPS file.

I've added all missing lines versus English version... BTW:
I noticed "Utils" menu was duplicated on English version...(See attachment)

I'll wait to have "hands on Catalan" till you tell Spanish is OK 'cause I use Spanish as base to produce Catalan.

Cheers,
Rafa.
Attachments
English CPS error.png
English CPS error.png (108.26 KiB) Viewed 353 times
CPS_Spanish.zip
(14.09 KiB) Downloaded 7 times