DM-1701 screen clipping

VK3KYY
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 am

TA1ECA wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:47 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 pm
ct1esj wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:23 pm


Yes Roger, it's almost perfect, only the space between the name of the zones and the name of the channel could be reduced. Everything else looks fine to me, menus, etc.
OK.

Try

downloads/MDUV380_DM1701/Firmware/Exper ... HACK_2.zip

Zone name has been moved up, as we have a definition for this position in the code.

i.e.

Code: Select all

#if defined(PLATFORM_DM1701)
#define DISPLAY_Y_POS_ZONE                   (50 + DISPLAY_V_EXTRA_PIXELS - 8)
#else
#define DISPLAY_Y_POS_ZONE                   (50 + DISPLAY_V_EXTRA_PIXELS )
#endif
Note.

Like I said previously.

Because the RT-84 is a DM-1701 with different case which has a wider window over the LCD panel, we will need to make a separate build for the RT-82

Also. I think there is some problem with the header rendering on the VFO sweep scan , which I don't understand, and perhaps not entirely related to my change, because the only think I changed the position of is the Zone text

And, I think possibly using the hardware scrolling in the LCD panel may be an even simpler option, but that will take several hours to investigate and like I said I want to release the MD2017 / RT-82 / V2017 public Alpha later today
Good weekend everyone. I wonder if this patch can work on UV390? My old UV390's screen adjustment is not precise. It's a bit offset. I tried to reposition the screen, but it didn't go very well. When I look at the screen, I see that the edges of the acrylic window, block the top line of the screen. I can live with that. But I'd like to try this patch if it's a simple solution.
The file won't won't work on the UV380/390 because the DM1701 has different internal connections

But something equivalent could be done for the UV380/390, but if its only you that has this problem , its not practical for us to make a whole different version for you only

TA1ECA
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:55 pm

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by TA1ECA » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 am
TA1ECA wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:47 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 pm


OK.

Try

downloads/MDUV380_DM1701/Firmware/Exper ... HACK_2.zip

Zone name has been moved up, as we have a definition for this position in the code.

i.e.

Code: Select all

#if defined(PLATFORM_DM1701)
#define DISPLAY_Y_POS_ZONE                   (50 + DISPLAY_V_EXTRA_PIXELS - 8)
#else
#define DISPLAY_Y_POS_ZONE                   (50 + DISPLAY_V_EXTRA_PIXELS )
#endif
Note.

Like I said previously.

Because the RT-84 is a DM-1701 with different case which has a wider window over the LCD panel, we will need to make a separate build for the RT-82

Also. I think there is some problem with the header rendering on the VFO sweep scan , which I don't understand, and perhaps not entirely related to my change, because the only think I changed the position of is the Zone text

And, I think possibly using the hardware scrolling in the LCD panel may be an even simpler option, but that will take several hours to investigate and like I said I want to release the MD2017 / RT-82 / V2017 public Alpha later today
Good weekend everyone. I wonder if this patch can work on UV390? My old UV390's screen adjustment is not precise. It's a bit offset. I tried to reposition the screen, but it didn't go very well. When I look at the screen, I see that the edges of the acrylic window, block the top line of the screen. I can live with that. But I'd like to try this patch if it's a simple solution.
The file won't won't work on the UV380/390 because the DM1701 has different internal connections

But something equivalent could be done for the UV380/390, but if its only you that has this problem , its not practical for us to make a whole different version for you only
I don't think anyone using UV390 has this problem other than me. I have not seen this problem in anyone around me who has UV380/390. As you say; It would be ridiculous to change the entire software just for a single radio. I would only like to try this patch if it worked for UV390, so I wanted to ask if it would work. Thank you for the information.

VK3KYY
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:54 am

TA1ECA wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 am
TA1ECA wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:47 am


Good weekend everyone. I wonder if this patch can work on UV390? My old UV390's screen adjustment is not precise. It's a bit offset. I tried to reposition the screen, but it didn't go very well. When I look at the screen, I see that the edges of the acrylic window, block the top line of the screen. I can live with that. But I'd like to try this patch if it's a simple solution.
The file won't won't work on the UV380/390 because the DM1701 has different internal connections

But something equivalent could be done for the UV380/390, but if its only you that has this problem , its not practical for us to make a whole different version for you only
I don't think anyone using UV390 has this problem other than me. I have not seen this problem in anyone around me who has UV380/390. As you say; It would be ridiculous to change the entire software just for a single radio. I would only like to try this patch if it worked for UV390, so I wanted to ask if it would work. Thank you for the information.
Its not that difficult to build your own copy of the firmware.

You may want to consider doing that.

TA1ECA
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:55 pm

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by TA1ECA » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:23 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:54 am
TA1ECA wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 am


The file won't won't work on the UV380/390 because the DM1701 has different internal connections

But something equivalent could be done for the UV380/390, but if its only you that has this problem , its not practical for us to make a whole different version for you only
I don't think anyone using UV390 has this problem other than me. I have not seen this problem in anyone around me who has UV380/390. As you say; It would be ridiculous to change the entire software just for a single radio. I would only like to try this patch if it worked for UV390, so I wanted to ask if it would work. Thank you for the information.
Its not that difficult to build your own copy of the firmware.

You may want to consider doing that.
It's an impossible task for someone who doesn't know much more about software than editing his own website in the frontend. Still, thank you very much for your encouragement :)

HA5DS
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by HA5DS » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:57 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:17 pm
Actually I noticed some hender rendering issues on the sweep scan, but I'm not sure why that is happening
Probably because of this in uiVFOMode.c:
#elif defined(PLATFORM_MD380) || defined(PLATFORM_MDUV380) || defined(PLATFORM_MD2017)
#define VFO_SWEEP_GRAPH_START_Y 10
#define VFO_SWEEP_GRAPH_HEIGHT_Y 86

HA5DS
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by HA5DS » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:15 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:12 am
The reason there is a function called RenderRows is because the radios with black+white screens have the screen divided into sections of 8 rows becuase of the way the 1 bit data is organised. And because the UI code is almost completely unified across black+white and colour screen radios, then the renderrows function is retained even though its not applicable to the colour screen radios.
Probably it should be replaced with a function like RenderLines which calculates the Row from the Line for black+white radios, but no one has time to retrospecively clean the code, especially as changing code can accidently introduce bugs
That seems easy enough. Instead of this for the newer color displays:

Code: Select all

startRow *= 8;
endRow *= 8;
This should be done instead for the BW display:

Code: Select all

startRow /= 8;
endRow = (endRow + 7) / 8;
And then rendering the RSSI bar is easy as this:

Code: Select all

displayRenderRows(DISPLAY_Y_POS_BAR, DISPLAY_Y_POS_BAR+4);
Every display render can be tied to the defined position offsets, never need to touch the code again for rearranging the displays.

PU7PDT
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:49 pm

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by PU7PDT » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:57 pm

HA5DS wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:15 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:12 am
The reason there is a function called RenderRows is because the radios with black+white screens have the screen divided into sections of 8 rows becuase of the way the 1 bit data is organised. And because the UI code is almost completely unified across black+white and colour screen radios, then the renderrows function is retained even though its not applicable to the colour screen radios.
Probably it should be replaced with a function like RenderLines which calculates the Row from the Line for black+white radios, but no one has time to retrospecively clean the code, especially as changing code can accidently introduce bugs
That seems easy enough. Instead of this for the newer color displays:

Code: Select all

startRow *= 8;
endRow *= 8;
This should be done instead for the BW display:

Code: Select all

startRow /= 8;
endRow = (endRow + 7) / 8;
And then rendering the RSSI bar is easy as this:

Code: Select all

displayRenderRows(DISPLAY_Y_POS_BAR, DISPLAY_Y_POS_BAR+4);
Every display render can be tied to the defined position offsets, never need to touch the code again for rearranging the displays.
Hello HA5DS and VK3KYY.

I've been following the subject since the beginning and would be happy to test the app developed by you, HA5DS, of course VK3KYY should allow it. I downloaded the version made by VK3KYY to install later at home. As I don't know how to program anything - not even my life, hahaha - I'm just following and rooting for HA5DS to be part of the team as a DM-1701 specialist. I apologize if anything written offended both of you.

73 strong.

VK3KYY
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:28 pm

PU7PDT wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:57 pm
HA5DS wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:15 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:12 am
The reason there is a function called RenderRows is because the radios with black+white screens have the screen divided into sections of 8 rows becuase of the way the 1 bit data is organised. And because the UI code is almost completely unified across black+white and colour screen radios, then the renderrows function is retained even though its not applicable to the colour screen radios.
Probably it should be replaced with a function like RenderLines which calculates the Row from the Line for black+white radios, but no one has time to retrospecively clean the code, especially as changing code can accidently introduce bugs
That seems easy enough. Instead of this for the newer color displays:

Code: Select all

startRow *= 8;
endRow *= 8;
This should be done instead for the BW display:

Code: Select all

startRow /= 8;
endRow = (endRow + 7) / 8;
And then rendering the RSSI bar is easy as this:

Code: Select all

displayRenderRows(DISPLAY_Y_POS_BAR, DISPLAY_Y_POS_BAR+4);
Every display render can be tied to the defined position offsets, never need to touch the code again for rearranging the displays.
Hello HA5DS and VK3KYY.

I've been following the subject since the beginning and would be happy to test the app developed by you, HA5DS, of course VK3KYY should allow it. I downloaded the version made by VK3KYY to install later at home. As I don't know how to program anything - not even my life, hahaha - I'm just following and rooting for HA5DS to be part of the team as a DM-1701 specialist. I apologize if anything written offended both of you.

73 strong.
In the next beta release, the Dm1701 and RT-84 versions will be separated and the DM1701 version will not use the top 8 lines of the display, and the number of menu items etc will be reduced
This version is already with a Beta tester

PU7PDT
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:49 pm

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by PU7PDT » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:04 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:28 pm
PU7PDT wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:57 pm
HA5DS wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:15 pm

That seems easy enough. Instead of this for the newer color displays:

Code: Select all

startRow *= 8;
endRow *= 8;
This should be done instead for the BW display:

Code: Select all

startRow /= 8;
endRow = (endRow + 7) / 8;
And then rendering the RSSI bar is easy as this:

Code: Select all

displayRenderRows(DISPLAY_Y_POS_BAR, DISPLAY_Y_POS_BAR+4);
Every display render can be tied to the defined position offsets, never need to touch the code again for rearranging the displays.
Hello HA5DS and VK3KYY.

I've been following the subject since the beginning and would be happy to test the app developed by you, HA5DS, of course VK3KYY should allow it. I downloaded the version made by VK3KYY to install later at home. As I don't know how to program anything - not even my life, hahaha - I'm just following and rooting for HA5DS to be part of the team as a DM-1701 specialist. I apologize if anything written offended both of you.

73 strong.
In the next beta release, the Dm1701 and RT-84 versions will be separated and the DM1701 version will not use the top 8 lines of the display, and the number of menu items etc will be reduced
This version is already with a Beta tester
Hello.

As you put up a modified version, I took the liberty of downloading and testing it, as I wrote above. It worked beautifully! Perfect! Suggestion: I use it on my 1701 with the colors inverted monochromatic, but there is a white line (at the top) on the black screen. It's not a problem for me. It looked like a separation bar. One other thing I've noticed is that I can't install or update anything through CPS anymore. After I installed the final version, everything went back to normal.

Just telling you what happened so you are aware of the processes that happened. Otherwise, thank you very much. 73.

VK3KYY
Posts: 7348
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: DM-1701 screen clipping

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:36 am

ok

I will test inverting the screen colours

Post Reply