Any method mapping origin firmware calibration data to opengd77

BG6VNE

Any method mapping origin firmware calibration data to opengd77

Post by BG6VNE » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:06 am

Hey guys,

Just get an DM1701 and flashed it to OpenGD77 latest version, works about BER 5% with my MMDVM Hotspot. Then I try to use MMDVMCal to find out the Tx/Rx offset which should be -500, but still get BER 3% with range -200 to -500 set to the hotspot.

After digging about the OpenGD77 manual, I realize that the firmware already include the Calibration Funciton in the options, which require a dummy load and a frequency & power meter to do so, which I don't have.

Then I remember that In the installation instructions, it says we should backup the calibration data with the original CPS "Ctrl + T" menu, and I have done that, then I try to use original CPS to read the calibration data but only get all empty result and sometimes error.

I'm wondering if there is any method can mapping the original calibration data to the opengd77 format, and then setup manually to the radio, it should be able to skip the dummy load and power meter to get the correct Tx/Rx frequency and power setting ?

Don't know if this can happen

G4EML

Re: Any method mapping origin firmware calibration data to opengd77

Post by G4EML » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:57 am

The original calibration data is already used by OpenGD77 so what you suggest has already been done automatically.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:01 am

The reason we added the calibration functionality to the firmware is because the power and frequency calibration done at the factory is not very accurate.

The power levels are very inaccurate, and its likely that they don't bother calibrating the power at all. The frequency accuracy is not always adequate when using a hotspot.

If you only have 1 radio, you can adjust the hotspot frequency, but if you have multiple radios, you have to calibrate the frequencies of all radios so that they are within +/- 200Hz of each other.

BG6VNE

Post by BG6VNE » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:12 am

G4EML wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:57 am
The original calibration data is already used by OpenGD77 so what you suggest has already been done automatically.
emmmm.... I see... So it's just the original CPS can't get the caliberation data zone correctly (since the port and driver swift)

BG6VNE

Post by BG6VNE » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:14 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:01 am
The reason we added the calibration functionality to the firmware is because the power and frequency calibration done at the factory is not very accurate.

The power levels are very inaccurate, and its likely that they don't bother calibrating the power at all. The frequency accuracy is not always adequate when using a hotspot.

If you only have 1 radio, you can adjust the hotspot frequency, but if you have multiple radios, you have to calibrate the frequencies of all radios so that they are within +/- 200Hz of each other.
Got it. For now I just have 1 DMR radio, I will try to use the MMDVMCal again to find out the proper hotspot frequency offset.

Many thanks!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:50 pm

BG6VNE wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:14 am
VK3KYY wrote:

Got it. For now I just have 1 DMR radio, I will try to use the MMDVMCal again to find out the proper hotspot frequency offset.

Many thanks!
I don't know what hardware you are using, but normally people use PiStar and just go into the configuation and change the Tx and Rx offset in increments of 100Hz, until the lowest BER is achieved.
Note. Sometimes very large offerts e.g. > +/- 1000Hz are needed to achieve good BER values.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:01 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:50 pm
BG6VNE wrote:
VK3KYY wrote:

Many thanks!
I don't know what hardware you are using, but normally people use PiStar and just go into the configuation and change the Tx and Rx offset in increments of 100Hz, until the lowest BER is achieved.
Note. Sometimes very large offerts e.g. > +/- 1000Hz are needed to achieve good BER values.
Before I had a decent counter that was useable on VHF/UHF I used a RTL-SDR V3 to check frequencies and deviation settings , this USB stick
has decent accuracy as it has a TCXO.
SDR sticks can also be calibrated with kalibrate-rtl towards 2G/3G base stations or other known good transmitters.

BG6VNE

Post by BG6VNE » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:42 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:50 pm
BG6VNE wrote:
VK3KYY wrote:

Many thanks!
I'm using a duplex MMDVM plate with bare MMDVMHost software running my NAS.

And yeah, the same method to adjust offset by 100HZ/step, in the range about -200 to -400 the best BER I can get is 1-3% on transmit voice about 10 sec. Out the range get higher BER.

I will try to some other method to get better result.

Thanks for your help and the development of OpenGD77 firmware!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:37 am

Change your settings to Simplex and set the offset to get minimum BER, then change back to Duplex

MMDVM HS Duplex hotspots work in Simplex mode