TYT MD2017 / Retevis RT-82 Public Alpha version

oh2fhj

Re: TYT MD2017 / Retevis RT-82 Public Alpha version

Post by oh2fhj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:25 am

hello, I did find a bug in the satelite mode.

basically pressing any button while transmitting gives first a long beep from the radio speaker and leaves in a mode where the radio will transmit only a beep on air ewry time you transmit.

the radio serial numbers is 1704A00571

you can find an exlanation wideo, the backup and registery files on my home server http://kride.dy.fi:83

yes its not https, it's my own pc and I figure out it's the easiest way to do this

all the best

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:48 am

oh2fhj wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:25 am
hello, I did find a bug in the satelite mode.

basically pressing any button while transmitting gives first a long beep from the radio speaker and leaves in a mode where the radio will transmit only a beep on air ewry time you transmit.

the radio serial numbers is 1704A00571

you can find an exlanation wideo, the backup and registery files on my home server http://kride.dy.fi:83

yes its not https, it's my own pc and I figure out it's the easiest way to do this

all the best
OK.

Possibly the other radios do the same thing.

The only reason to press the number buttons would be to send DTMF and I don't think any satellites support DTMF

oh2fhj

Post by oh2fhj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:37 am

[/quote]

OK.

The only reason to press the number buttons would be to send DTMF and I don't think any satellites support DTMF
[/quote]

Yes, it's not a big deal, and should not be a bit priority. I just came across it, and it's for good for everyone to know that you don't go on air when the radio is acting up.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 pm

oh2fhj wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:37 am

OK.

Yes, it's not a big deal, and should not be a bit priority. I just came across it, and it's for good for everyone to know that you don't go on air when the radio is acting up.
Bug verified on my RT-82.

But I could stop the beep in the speaker by pressing "Back" multiple times, in that state the radio does not receive DMR but I can transmit DMR and with modulation (speech) .
For FM channels I have RX but TX (PTT) sends some DTMF tone.

I remember a similar bug earlier where a tone could stuck and transmitted when you pressed PTT, can't find that thread ftm.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:21 pm

SA0BUX wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 pm
oh2fhj wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:37 am

OK.

Bug verified on my RT-82.

But I could stop the beep in the speaker by pressing "Back" multiple times, in that state the radio does not receive DMR but I can transmit DMR and with modulation (speech) .
For FM channels I have RX but TX (PTT) sends some DTMF tone.

I remember a similar bug earlier where a tone could stuck and transmitted when you pressed PTT, can't find that thread ftm.
Found the old thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2793&p=22883&hilit ... uck#p22883

oh2fhj

Post by oh2fhj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:14 pm

I did some mesurments on my tyt 2017, this is my radio and it doesn't mean you're radio mesurments are the same. Take this as it is and is only an example for one unit.

There is also a short wideo if you're interested in my accuracy of ear tuning.

the rssi meter is off by abaut 15db on 2m, feeding in -120 dbm and reading abaut -135 dbm

On 70cm the rssi meter is of by something like 2-3 db, flickering.

I didn't have the mic hand mic with me and didn't have any other way to connect audii so I don't have exact snr number to write home about. You just have to trust my word that to my ears it sounds like decent snr with my experience

Some picka @ http://kride.dy.fi:83/mesurments/

The Factor Power settings were off by a bit, I did adjust the settings and got it much more exact, if it actually matters anything, well everyone can decide it them shelf

I don't have the patience to write it down here, so you just have to look at the pictures I write by hand if you're interested, and remember. Your radio wont be the same !

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:10 pm

oh2fhj wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:14 pm
I did some mesurments on my tyt 2017, this is my radio and it doesn't mean you're radio mesurments are the same. Take this as it is and is only an example for one unit.

There is also a short wideo if you're interested in my accuracy of ear tuning.

the rssi meter is off by abaut 15db on 2m, feeding in -120 dbm and reading abaut -135 dbm

On 70cm the rssi meter is of by something like 2-3 db, flickering.

I didn't have the mic hand mic with me and didn't have any other way to connect audii so I don't have exact snr number to write home about. You just have to trust my word that to my ears it sounds like decent snr with my experience

Some picka @ http://kride.dy.fi:83/mesurments/

The Factor Power settings were off by a bit, I did adjust the settings and got it much more exact, if it actually matters anything, well everyone can decide it them shelf

I don't have the patience to write it down here, so you just have to look at the pictures I write by hand if you're interested, and remember. Your radio wont be the same !
Thanks

VK4JWT reported to me that the MD2017 was less sensitive on 2m than the GD77, I compared signals from a local beacon and saw that the RSSI was lower on my MD2017, but I didn't know whether the RF preamp in the MD2017 has less gain than the GD77

The RSSI values were however similar to the UV380

The RSSI values are read from the AT1846S TRx chip, but possibly the internal gain settings result in an incorrect overall RSSI value

Do you have a UV380 or a DM1701 to make a comparison?

oh2fhj

Post by oh2fhj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:38 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:10 pm

Thanks

VK4JWT reported to me that the MD2017 was less sensitive on 2m than the GD77, I compared signals from a local beacon and saw that the RSSI was lower on my MD2017, but I didn't know whether the RF preamp in the MD2017 has less gain than the GD77

The RSSI values were however similar to the UV380

The RSSI values are read from the AT1846S TRx chip, but possibly the internal gain settings result in an incorrect overall RSSI value

Do you have a UV380 or a DM1701 to make a comparison?

Hello, there is couple off people in the club that's running opengd77 ill see tomorrow when we have the club evening if the right people coming with the right radios and see what I can get. Personally I only own anytone 578 and the MD 2017 dmr radios. Everything else is old fashion analog and that doesn't help much

The snr in my ear is pretty same on 2m and 70cm. Only the meter show difference, but the radio will still hear

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:46 pm

oh2fhj wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:38 pm
Hello, there is couple off people in the club that's running opengd77 ill see tomorrow when we have the club evening if the right people coming with the right radios and see what I can get. Personally I only own anytone 578 and the MD 2017 dmr radios. Everything else is old fashion analog and that doesn't help much

The snr in my ear is pretty same on 2m and 70cm. Only the meter show difference, but the radio will still hear
Thanks

I just looked at the code and the RSSI and S/N calulations are based on data for the GD77, recorded by VK4JWT and VK7ZJA who both had access to accurate test equipment.

There are correction factors which are different for UHF and VHF so that for the GD77 the value is roughly correct

However, I don't recall anyone doing RSSI calibration testing on the UV380 / MD9600 and I know we didn't for the MD2017/RT-82

Code is currently

Code: Select all

int trxGetRSSIdBm(RadioDevice_t deviceId)
{
	int dBm = 0;

if (radioDevices[deviceId].trxCurrentBand[TRX_RX_FREQ_BAND] == RADIO_BAND_UHF)
	{
		// Use fixed point maths to scale the RSSI value to dBm, based on data from VK4JWT and VK7ZJA
		dBm = -151 + radioDevices[deviceId].trxRxSignal;// Note no the RSSI value on UHF does not need to be scaled like it does on VHF
	}
	else
	{
		// VHF
		// Use fixed point maths to scale the RSSI value to dBm, based on data from VK4JWT and VK7ZJA
		dBm = -164 + ((radioDevices[deviceId].trxRxSignal * 32) / 27);
	}

return dBm;
}

int trxGetNoisedBm(RadioDevice_t deviceId)
{
	int dBm = 0;

{
		dBm = -151 + radioDevices[deviceId].trxRxNoise;// Note no the RSSI value on UHF does not need to be scaled like it does on VHF
	}
	else
	{
		// VHF
		dBm = -164 + ((radioDevices[deviceId].trxRxNoise * 32) / 27);
	}

return dBm;
}

oh2fhj

Post by oh2fhj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:24 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:46 pm
Thanks

I just looked at the code and the RSSI and S/N calulations are based on data for the GD77, recorded by VK4JWT and VK7ZJA who both had access to accurate test equipment.

There are correction factors which are different for UHF and VHF so that for the GD77 the value is roughly correct

However, I don't recall anyone doing RSSI calibration testing on the UV380 / MD9600 and I know we didn't for the MD2017/RT-82

Code is currently

Code: Select all

int trxGetRSSIdBm(RadioDevice_t deviceId)
{
	int dBm = 0;

{
		dBm = -151 + radioDevices[deviceId].trxRxSignal;// Note no the RSSI value on UHF does not need to be scaled like it does on VHF
	}
	else
	{
		// VHF
		dBm = -164 + ((radioDevices[deviceId].trxRxSignal * 32) / 27);
	}

return dBm;
}

int trxGetNoisedBm(RadioDevice_t deviceId)
{
	int dBm = 0;

{
		dBm = -151 + radioDevices[deviceId].trxRxNoise;// Note no the RSSI value on UHF does not need to be scaled like it does on VHF
	}
	else
	{
		// VHF
		dBm = -164 + ((radioDevices[deviceId].trxRxNoise * 32) / 27);
	}

return dBm;
}

That equipment I'm using is probably calibrated late 90 or early 2000 so it might well be off a db or two, also the connector's etc. So the 70cm is pretty much on the money considering the tolerance, but the 2m is off by quite a bit. 2-3 db I can understand, but not 15db

It might be there is some variations in the radios, different calibrations on different manufacturing patches 🤔

Is there any easy way to calibrate the singnal meter ? I been trying to Google it, but haven't yet come across anything...