Sight impaired amateurs

DJ0HF

Sight impaired amateurs

Post by DJ0HF » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:47 am

I work with sight impaired amateurs and a number use the GD77S for voice announcementsor or MD380 with MD380toolz. I was wondering, if not voice whether it would be possible to add morse audio for the menu's etc. to OpenGD77 rather as MD380Toolz does. Which would make the GD77 very accessable for many of the sight impaired amateurs around the world. I know itwould probably be quite a bit of work.

VK3KYY

Re: Sight impaired amateurs

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 am

Voice prompts are on the enhancement list

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 7/issues/6

The plan is to encode the prompts using the AMBE encoder (using the Linux MD-380 emulator as the encoder).

Then play the AMBE audio using the same system in the radio that handles the DMR audio

However, even making all the WAV files and then encoding them is quite a lot of work, and no one had time to do this yet.

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:28 am

using the Ambe encoder sounds like a good way to go and I realise it would be a lot of work. But many thanks for having it on the list.
Ian

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 am

AMBE results in some amazingly small files for the audio and doesnt sound too bad.

I did start to work on this, but even generating the computer voice audio for the numbers e.g. "0" "1" "2" etc and all the words "TalkGroup" "VFO" "Channel" , "TimeSlot" "Colour Code" etc is a big job

But perhaps someone can have a go at creating MP3's for these individual sounds.

Well, first we need a word list, then someone can make computer voice audio of the words and save as MP3
Then someone can compress to AMBE using the MD-380 emulator, then we can start to include them

People don't need to be that technical to do some parts of it e.g. compiling the word list

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Once someone comes up with a list, I can generate all of the individual mp3 files. I've got a simple program that I've used to do this for another radio.
Bud W0RMT / VK3BUD
Colorado HD BM TG 31088
coloradodigital.net

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:54 pm

And I just found Amazon Polly so if you have an AWS account this tool looks easy to use. Lots of languages and accents as well including EN US, EN Aus, EN UK, etc. If someone wants to work with me on coming up with the list of words we need to generate mp3 files for, I will do this part.

We should also decide on a region/accent to use.
Bud W0RMT / VK3BUD
Colorado HD BM TG 31088
coloradodigital.net

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Can you check the license conditions on the audio produced by that system

It’s probably ok, but we don’t want to have to do it again if someone complains we are going beyond their terms of use

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:14 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 pm
Can you check the license conditions on the audio produced by that system

It’s probably ok, but we don’t want to have to do it again if someone complains we are going beyond their terms of use
It looks like we're OK:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Q: Do I still own my content that is processed and stored by Amazon Polly?

You always retain ownership of your content and we will only use your content with your consent.

and

Q. Are text inputs processed by Amazon Polly stored, and how are they used by AWS?

Amazon Polly may store and use text inputs processed by the service solely to provide and maintain the service and to improve and develop the quality of Amazon Polly and other Amazon machine-learning/artificial-intelligence technologies. Use of your content is important for continuous improvement of your Amazon Polly customer experience, including the development and training of related technologies. We do not use any personally identifiable information that may be contained in your content to target products, services or marketing to you or your end users. Your trust, privacy, and the security of your content are our highest priority and we implement appropriate and sophisticated technical and physical controls, including encryption at rest and in transit, designed to prevent unauthorized access to, or disclosure of, your content and ensure that our use complies with our commitments to you. Please see https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/data-privacy-faq/ for more information. You may opt out of having your content used to improve and develop the quality of Amazon Polly and other Amazon machine-learning/artificial-intelligence technologies by contacting AWS Support.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Bud W0RMT / VK3BUD
Colorado HD BM TG 31088
coloradodigital.net

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:20 pm

I will start to create the mp3 files so that we can then compress them using the ambe encoder.

Question: what voice? Male or female? US, UK, or AUS?

Here is a list of individual audio files to create. Please reply with others I have missed:

Talkgroup
Private call
Contact
entry
Time slot
Channel
Color code
VFO
all numerals 0-9
all letters A-Z
Bud W0RMT / VK3BUD
Colorado HD BM TG 31088
coloradodigital.net

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 pm

All the menus and all their options !

e.g.
"Last Heard"
"Battery"
"RSSI"
"S"
"dBm"
"Display options"
"Options"
"Firmware info"
"point"
"MegaHertz"

etc
etc

Sorry, its a big list, but if its worth doing ......